Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, im looking to find out what i would need to do to get my 4.0 out of my 2003 ford ranger and into a 05+ v6 4.0 mustang? (its a build 4.0 with a charger, just want to get it into a sports car..something that will utilize it more)

i hear that the engine is basically the same...but what would that involve..

would PATS be affected? can i plug that 05 mustang ECU into the engine harness from my 03 engine?
OR could i just connect all the sensors from the 05 mustang harness onto my 03 v6 and it would work?

AND in the opposite direction, i would want to put the 05 stock v6 into the ranger...if that would work

umm i also found out that the t5od from the mustang was like 10 spline? i think the ranger is like 23? so would i just need a different clutch? or would the throw out bearing also need to be changed???

are the blocks the same so that the t5od from the mustang would bolt right up?

any imput is welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think you'd be better off removing the blower from the Ranger and installing it on the Stang, then just retune it for the SC. Back in my Ranger days there was a guy on Rangerpowersports that used a 4.0 SC kit for a stang and put it on his 03 Ranger when the 05 Mustangs came out. I don't believe it was BS and I don't remember the details cause it was so long ago. I know that doesn't really help much but I hope it does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want the whole engine because its a built 4.0 (dumb to build it, but i did)

but nobody can really tell me if there is any difference in engines..AND/OR whether PATS module will be affected

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
i don't think that there is going to be much info on this as i doubt that a lot of ranger to mustang swaps have been done.

I don't know much about the 4.0's but if it is in fact the same motor as in the ranger i would just swap the short blocks and then your would not have to mess with any of the wiring or pats.

then all you will need is a tune and you should be good to go

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
there is a big difference between the two and youll have do do alot of work to get it to work properly.

1st: the ranger 4.0 is a pushrod motor(over head valve) with a single cam
2nd: the mustang 4.0 is a modular motor(single over head cam) with a cam on top of each head

you would have to swap everything. engine, tranny, harness, ecu, and depending on the size or difference of the tranny you could possibly need a custom driveshaft unless the mustang tranny bolts up to it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ranger engine is a SOHC. i looked on wikipedia and it said that the 6 cologne 4.0 was used in 01+ rangers and 05-10 mustangs...so that leads me to believe that its the same engine (dont know why ford would change it up..that would just cost them more money right?)

but i know the trannys are different. its a T5OD i think in the mustang? so if the blocks are the same, my SOHC should bolt right up?

SOUTHFOUR, i think you are right, swap in just the motor..no electronics..and if i find out that the harnesses are the same, then everything should plug right in? (but i think the mustang has an electronic TB? how could i change that to cable if thats true)

i definately agree that probably not many ranger to mustang swaps have been done, but where do i go to really find out what the differences are between the motors. :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yeah, the 03 Rangers had a SOHC 4.0. The 4.0 before it was a pushrod motor. I agree with southfour on swapping the short block. I was planning on building the 4.0 in my 03 back when I had it. I had the whole prerunner thing going on with it. I traded it before I did it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you think i should be able to swap the whole engine into the mustang? and hook the mustang harness up to it?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm almost positive you can use the Ranger motor in the Stang. Just retune the computer in the car and you should be alright. I know it sounds way simpler then it probably is. Knowing Ford there are so many differances between the 2 engines even though they're the same (?) that it will be more involved than that. I really wish I could help, but I just don't know the right answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Knowing Ford there are so many differances between the 2 engines even though they're the same (?)

you say that sarcastically? just checking..lol

it just wouldnt make any sense to me that FORD would tweak the 4.0 that they had from the ranger..cause im pretty sure that would cost them more money, they are already shelling out the 4.0 engine for the ranger...my assumption is they just threw it in the mustang...

the things im most worried about is..
-connections of the harness, will it all plug right into the plugs onto my 03 engine...
-t5OD from the mustang bolting up to my 03 (i would assume it would bolt right up, but i dont know..)
-and the imput shaft of that t5OD is different than that of a m5od im pretty sure...so my question is...do i need a different pilot bearing? (i know i can buy a clutch that has the right amount of splines)

tuning wise..i should use the tune that is on my ranger right..somehow just get it to the mustang..?

any help or comments are a help

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
assuming the ranger engine bolts up...

take the ranger long block and use the mustang sensors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yaaaa that's a thought for sure. And keep the ranger sensors for the mustang engine that would go into. The ranger. That being done only if the sensors don't match up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i talked with a friend and he said it was more than likely possible..just use the mustang flywheel..all the mustang sensors if thats needed, maybe the mustang motor mounts?? i would say pats shouldnt be affected because its the same computer staying in the mustang...just retune it..yadda yadda....

the only problem is the price of the 2005 mustang right now, ahah being in college, that is a large problem...but there is nothing like banging through the gears in a sports car...thats kinda why the ford ranger isnt the best for this engine!

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts