Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have experience with these things? I've been reading up on turning one into an emulation box and it seems pretty easy. If you have made one, what cool things have you done with it?

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Also interested in them.
My friend has one, and I need to talk to him about them to see what all you could do with them.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered parts to build one for emulation. I've been browsing the Raspberry Pi subreddit and a guy on there built a pretty sweet alarm clock. There also builds to basically turn a non-smart tv into a smart tv. I know I'm going to build the alarm clock and I may build a couple of the smart tv boxes.

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
i don't know much about them, or about computers in general, but i've been reading a lot and trying to learn about raspberry pi

thinking about buying a starter kit to play with and hopefully figure out how to use one to build a fully automated hydroponic setup

·
DSMs are cool...
2,059 Posts
Never heard of this before, looked it up last night seems pretty interesting.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Have had mine for around 2 years, up until a month ago i used it as my plex client to stream from my plex server. it worked flawless and encoded every format available on the fly. I'm using a fire stick for that know to test out but know im installing Kali on it know, they even have a custom image for the pi with a tft screen capability.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Id rather use an Arduino to build an Alarm clock. A Raspberry Pi seems like over kill for that application. Especially considering you can get an Arduino UNO for $17 or so online.

Ive built a few things with my Arduino UNO. And actually I bought it to use it for a project on my mustang. I will hopefully have a working prototype by the end of the winter. Im planing on posting a video of it in action once I have it built. Still need to get some particular diodes for the circuit though. As for the Pi, nope I have never used one.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

i don't know much about them, or about computers in general, but i've been reading a lot and trying to learn about raspberry pi

thinking about buying a starter kit to play with and hopefully figure out how to use one to build a fully automated hydroponic setup
Once again, an Arduino would would work great for that setup as well.

Im a huge fan of Arduino microcontrollers.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

What language do you code the Pi in? C?

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Raspberry pie is good but would much rather have blueberry, peach, or apple pie. Pecan pie and sweet potato pie hits the spot this time of year also. Pumpkin is also a favorite. I can't justify raspberry when so many other flavors make better pies.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
I have one. it's sitting in my desk. I was going to use it as a media front end, and make my tv smart, but i cored a cheap dell that does this much better.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id rather use an Arduino to build an Alarm clock. A Raspberry Pi seems like over kill for that application. Especially considering you can get an Arduino UNO for $17 or so online.

Ive built a few things with my Arduino UNO. And actually I bought it to use it for a project on my mustang. I will hopefully have a working prototype by the end of the winter. Im planing on posting a video of it in action once I have it built. Still need to get some particular diodes for the circuit though. As for the Pi, nope I have never used one.

I'm not sure I could use an Arduino for the alarm clock build.

AlarmPi

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Whatever lol. Sorry for suggesting anything at all. You seem like you have your feelings hurt about something, so I'll back out here. Don't ask for the opinions of people on a forum if you're just going to act condescending when people give you other opinions.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whatever lol. Sorry for suggesting anything at all. You seem like you have your feelings hurt about something, so I'll back out here. Don't ask for the opinions of people on a forum if you're just going to act condescending when people give you other opinions.
Where was I condescending? I have very little knowledge about Arduino units therefore I'm going to ask questions. If my questions about them made it seem like I didn't care about your input, oh well. Toughen up, buttercup.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
that escalated quickly. i think your a huge fan of arduino and just dont like people to downplay them compared to something else. i didnt since he was making a deal out of this.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
I think it's a cost difference is anything. the pi is 20 compared to 75. Why the **** would i spend 75 dollars to build an alarm clock when i can go buy one for 10? Im much more inclined to build one if the parts are only 20.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's a cost difference is anything. the pi is 20 compared to 75. Why the **** would i spend 75 dollars to build an alarm clock when i can go buy one for 10? Im much more inclined to build one if the parts are only 20.
That's all it is. I figured up the cost of the alarm clock I posted versus the one 8t6gt posted. If I make the housing myself (which I can. I'll probably get one made of carbon fiber at work) then the AlarmPi would cost me ~$120 whereas the arduino alarm clock would cost ~$200. That is a HUGE difference for something like this IMO.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts