Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a ratchet shifter (reverse pattern C4) that is made to fit in the origional shifter position of an 03 GT? I am trying to find a shifter that has will bolt right in with a cover plate already made to cut down on the fabrication.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You don't ask much do ya? :D I don't know about the stock location but I have seen em modified into the cup holder area. Your could use just about any of em that way. I can't find anything for the c-4, but B&M makes a console mount shifter for the mustang, but its for the AODE, and I don't know what if anything that would do for ya. I will keep looking though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
there has to be one, a friend of mine has an 04 cobra that has an automatic conversion, i am pretty sure its a built c4

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't ask much do ya? :D I don't know about the stock location but I have seen em modified into the cup holder area. Your could use just about any of em that way. I can't find anything for the c-4, but B&M makes a console mount shifter for the mustang, but its for the AODE, and I don't know what if anything that would do for ya. I will keep looking though.

That would actually look great if it was finished off nicely. That may be just the way to go. I figured there would be some options out there, but I haven't really found anything that looks well built yet. I have a few weeks until I have to have the shifter, so let me know if you find anything else. I am having to pull bellhousing off of the C4 I currently have and get a 4.6 conversion housing for it.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc, where did you get that pic? Have you seen any other set ups like that with maybe some more pics?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I got it here at MM&FF's website, its a saleen they did a write up on.2002 Ford Saleen Mustang Shifter Photo

I did a couple back at OSU that where set up fairly similar. I am like you I don't like the hammer that much. With this setup it realy allows you some more room to play with shifters. I will see if I can dig up some pics of em but thats the only one I can find right now. On the ones we did, we just put the gauges, and swithces in a custom plate that fit in the stock shifter area. Realy it comes out nice if u just finish it out nice like you said.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
i think a rachet shifter in the stock location would be kind of a bitch to use unless you have some long ass arms the one doc showed looks pretty good

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think a rachet shifter in the stock location would be kind of a bitch to use unless you have some long ass arms the one doc showed looks pretty good

Exactly. I am wanting to mount it to where I can sit back in the seat and just bang gears without trying to hold myself forward while I'm trying to watch gauges and drive.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
why you want a ratchet shifter anyways? why not a regular shifter? i understand how the ratchet works. i have used one.. but what does it benefit over the regular shifter

·
Registered
600 Posts
they're awesome for racing, dont have to push the clutch and all you gotta do if it has the reverse manual valve body is hit that **** forward and you're in the next gear

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, it's a 3 speed C4 transmission. It already has a reverse pattern valve body. As far as the ratchet vs. standard goes, that is all personal opinion. I have a ratchet shifter that fits in the bezel area, but it is a Hammer and I really don't care for it.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been looking at the option of mounteing the shifter further to the rear like Doc showed pics of earlier. Just sitting in the car and placing my hand about where it would fit, it felt really good. I will probably cut the console and fabricate something similar to the pics.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I have been looking at the option of mounteing the shifter further to the rear like Doc showed pics of earlier. Just sitting in the car and placing my hand about where it would fit, it felt really good. I will probably cut the console and fabricate something similar to the pics.

I realy think thats the best spot for them any way, especialy for the track and if you wanna do some good fab work you could realy cut down on the top plate surface area so it doesn't take up the hole area. Might even be able to save a cup holder if you wanted to. Don't know how important that is though.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts