Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm thinking about redoing my exhaust system cuz when i bought my car (2k v6) it had an H pipe already put onto it and obviously that means headers too... the problem is idk what was put on or how long ago and they are a bit rusty and i WOULD like to have a little more deep sound to it. so my question is what should i be looking for for headers if im going for sound? shorty or longtube and CAN i even go longtube with a v6? and as for the exhaust i think im gunna stick with the h pipe and im between a magnaflow or flowmaster. any input is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
just cuz the midpipe isnt stock doesnt mean that the headers arent.

yes you can go longtubes w/ a v6. pacesetter or mac make them for our cars.

longtube headers, offroad h-pipe, catback w/ chambered muffler for sound or straight thru design for performance

/thread

·
Registered
546 Posts
just cuz the midpipe isnt stock doesnt mean that the headers arent.

yes you can go longtubes w/ a v6. pacesetter or mac make them for our cars.

longtube headers, offroad h-pipe, catback w/ chambered muffler for sound or straight thru design for performance

/thread
look into emissions laws before long tubes

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
allready did emissions arent a problem but ive looked into it a little and they arent stock headers and not like it would matter if they were cuz im replacing them either way

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
549 Posts
ok so how does this look for a set up going for sound mind you...

Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Catback System (99-04 V6)

BBK Shorty H-Pipe (96-04 Off-Road)

MAC TF6990 MAC 1999-2000 Mustang V6 1 5/8'' Long Tube Headers CERAMIC COATED - TF6990 MAC

yeah? no? if im going in the wrong direction here please correct me because im clearly not pro with exhaust systems
magnaflow catback wont work. its designed for the stock y pipe on a v6. you need a gt exhaust. and the magnaflows might sound ricey. imo flowmaster or mac sounds best.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
magnaflow catback wont work. its designed for the stock y pipe on a v6. you need a gt exhaust. and the magnaflows might sound ricey. imo flowmaster or mac sounds best.
ok i DEFINITELY want to stay aay from the ricey sound... i wanted to go towards flowmaster anyway... theres a custom exhaust shop near me i think imay stop by there and ask a few questions.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds good... im gunna look around take a visit to the shop see what they have to say and go from there... any more suggestions and builds are helpful... keep in mind im mainly going for a deeper tone. i get complimented all the time that mine sounds like a beefy v-8 so im not sure how much more i can get out of it. its just at the higher rpms id like to keep that tone. my gf's brother neon srt4 turbo sounds deeper than the stang =[ not at lower rpm but when i get up there his keep the deep tone

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
you should just go to an exhaust shop and have them cut your Y if its still a Y, make you another pipe to run the other side, fab you up an H, get flowmaster 40s or magnaflows (i went with 40s) and get the mac longtubes.

thats what i did (minus the longtubes, i've always been back and forth on turboing it so havent put money into longtubes yet) and mine sound excellent. no point in buyin a name brand catback honestly. just go to an exhaust shop with what is it uhh... true manifold bends or something. been so long i cant remember, someone could tell you on here tho. good luck. this way will save you alot of money tho like 150-200 dollars

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
custom man, out on the LT's then go to a muffler shop and have them build your exhaust off the headers. You will save yoursefl some money and if there are any emissions things like cats or something you need the shop will be able to put those in as well

·
Registered
910 Posts
just find a small familly owned shop to give you a sticker. longtubes and no cats arnt legal anywhere.
No inspection or emissions in OK...they would be legal there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its allready an H but i like the idea of building off the headers... allthought i doo want the flowmaster 40's

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
its allready an H but i like the idea of building off the headers... allthought i doo want the flowmaster 40's
90% of exhaust shops, carry flowmaster and they will just add in the cost of the mufflers when they build the exhaust

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so going from the MAC longtubes i can have the shop build the flowmasters off of that and be all set? cuz if thats the case ill head over there this weekend

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
ok so going from the MAC longtubes i can have the shop build the flowmasters off of that and be all set? cuz if thats the case ill head over there this weekend
yeah some exhaust shops wont install headers, so you can just do that yourself and drive over there with open headers and have them build it and your all set.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds good... ill find out before hand and i allready know they can do the flowmasters via a huge sign outside advertising flowmasters and magnaflow but that sounds like a plan, thanks guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts