Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the engine from my '94 GT out of the car and on an engine stand. The rear main seal was leaking and since I have to tear the bottom end of the engine down to change out a $3 seal, I might as well go a bit further. I've never gotten into a fuel injected engine, more specifically an engine with a computer. I assume that any performance parts put into the engine will have to be dealt with in the programming of the computer so that it runs correctly. Since the engine is on a stand, anything I do to it will be relatively easy, since it's right there in the open. The engine has 160,000 miles on it, and I'll probably have a machine shop clean up the cylinder walls and crank journals. So without going crazy into this thing, but mainly freshening it up, what else would you all do to it if it was yours? In stock form, I was happy with the performace, but higher horsepower is always welcome. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, and I don't want so much power that it becomes unreliable. Cylinders bored out a bit.........what pistons? Camshaft.....stock or more performance oriented? Is there a good prepackaged kit out there, with more performance in mind than stock, that I can buy, install it all, have the computer programmed, and then just drive it? What would you all do? Just looking for suggestions before I do anything. Thanks!

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I would bore it 0.030 over, clean up the heads, and buy a Trickflow topend kit with a TFS2 cam or a custom one. What is your budget?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't really have a dollar amount in mind. I'd like to do a little something to it, but I don't want it to get out of control. Basic bore over, cam, maybe some head work, headers, program, and that about it. Something better than stock, but not a dragster. I still want it reliable and not have to tinker with it all the time. Just curious what suggestions everyone else might have.

·
Registered
573 Posts
well your h/c/i is holding you back big time, depending on who does the work is how much money your looking at, shop rates arent cheap, a fresh 306 with a good h/c/i on top off all that would be a fun daily driver in my book

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, at the risk of asking a dumb question.......... What is h/c/i? If I had to guess, I'd say it's heads, cam, ignition. But again, that's just a guess. What parts are involved with a 306? Boring, pistons, and cam? Anything else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, at the risk of asking a dumb question.......... What is h/c/i? If I had to guess, I'd say it's heads, cam, ignition. But again, that's just a guess. What parts are involved with a 306? Boring, pistons, and cam? Anything else?
Heads, cam, intake, and you sound like you want to do about the same thing I want to do with my car. Ive been doing a lot of research on budget builds and the setup Im thinking about doing would be keeping the cam stock but using 1.7 roller rockers, then going with GT40 or GT40p heads and a GT40 intake manifold, possibly a 65mm throttle body. It's basically the cobra setup so 24lb injectors and the cobra MAF might be necessary but I think you can get by with a tune for the 24lb without the MAF.

This setup is worth about 50HP, maybe not enough for a lot on here but if you're looking for a streetable car with a lot of low end torque you would be happy with the setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great info. I just ran into a guy a few hours ago that knew a lot about Mustangs. Based on the info I got from him, I think I'm going to try boring the cylinders .030" just to freshen it up. Install an F cam, and then get the Explorer heads, intake manifold, and throttle body. I don't know the specific part #'s and all the lingo associated with the Ford parts, but I assume that the Explorer stuff is the GT40 heads and all that you were talking about right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i think instead of an f cam you should consider more along the lines of an e cam or somthing simialar i think an f cam is to much for that set up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy I talked to had an F cam in his car with the Explorer stuff and at idle, it sounded awesome. I didn't hear it driving, but I assume it all worked well since he didn't say otherwise. But that's why I'm on here, to get other people's opinions on what they would do, or what they have done.

Mando, my car looked just like yours. Black, same hood, and black wheels. Now it's at the junk yard after it got totalled. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts