Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 99 GT that im doing a rebuild on after a spun rod bearing. I know the connecting rod bolts are TTY and most any mechanic will say never reuse them.. but has anyone actually had a reused rod bolt fail? I dont plan on keeping the car more than 10k miles and I doubt ill prob never hit 300hp.. Opinions?

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wold you cheap out on something like that when you know they are tty bolts. DO it the right way.
adds up real quick with that mindset.. Ford technicians state they can be torqued safely up to 5 times..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I torqued a head bolt to make sure they were tight never even pulled heads and it snapped buy bolts

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ive got a 99 GT that im doing a rebuild on after a spun rod bearing. I know the connecting rod bolts are TTY and most any mechanic will say never reuse them.. but has anyone actually had a reused rod bolt fail? I dont plan on keeping the car more than 10k miles and I doubt ill prob never hit 300hp.. Opinions?

It depends I guess. If I was doing a super budget rebuild, meaning replacing inserts and cleaning up crank a little. Yes I would re-use the factory rod bolts.

If the rebuild is more extensive then sure buy new ones to be safe.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Adds up but please buy new ones. Even if you only plan on keeping this for 10k miles you might f someone else over. Maybe even yourself :dunno Spend the extra cash man

·
Registered
927 Posts
No harm in reusing them, retorqued them on my f150 checkin rod bearings after my pickup tube plugged, 50,000 + miles later i havnt had a problem. I have done the same when i rebuilt my old gt had patriot heads comp stage 2 cams and wrapped the hell out of it many times down the track no problems. I am a ford technician we have had to reuse them many times with customers on a budget as long as they havnt been retorqued more than a few times like someone stated above dont worry about it just make sure you inspect the threads.

·
Registered
907 Posts

Never re-use rod bolts, head bolts, or main cap bolts!

...and I hope you don't plan on ****ing someone else over with shotty work. You said you only plan to keep the car for 10k. ::Mental Note:: never buy a car from ImRambo!

/thread

·
Best Buy Autotech
697 Posts
if you know you had bearing issues...why would you reuse such a crucial part? I Know when I tear into my **** next week, every stock bolt will be replaced with ARP hardware.... Don't take the chance and screw someone else if you plan to sell the car... Don't forget Karma bro

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
adds up real quick with that mindset.. Ford technicians state they can be torqued safely up to 5 times..
I guess that would be the same Ford "technicians" who don't feel the spark plugs need to be torqued as well...

From the factory service manual:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I missed the part about the spun bearing I wouldn't even reuse the rod in that case for what little they cost.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
No harm in reusing them, retorqued them on my f150 checkin rod bearings after my pickup tube plugged, 50,000 + miles later i havnt had a problem. I have done the same when i rebuilt my old gt had patriot heads comp stage 2 cams and wrapped the hell out of it many times down the track no problems. I am a ford technician we have had to reuse them many times with customers on a budget as long as they havnt been retorqued more than a few times like someone stated above dont worry about it just make sure you inspect the threads.
personally I would never take the chance with reusing a part that is so important to other crucial parts. Also hes not checking rod bearings , he spun a rod. If the bolt didn't loosen, it must have stretched

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I missed the part about the spun bearing I wouldn't even reuse the rod in that case for what little they cost.
Crank, rods, cylinders have all been polished/honed

·
Commoner
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you know you had bearing issues...why would you reuse such a crucial part? I Know when I tear into my **** next week, every stock bolt will be replaced with ARP hardware.... Don't take the chance and screw someone else if you plan to sell the car... Don't forget Karma bro
Ya man got screwed over 1500 due to last owners lack of morals.. if I thought the bolts would break for next owner id never consider it

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Shut your mouth. I bought the car and got screwed over with a bad engine.. I'm 17 and have spent all my grad money, loans and gifts along with many hours just to FIX a problem.. many people reuse them with absolutely no problem infact after reading hundreds of post not s single person has said a reused original rod cap
Bolt has broken..
They don't break, I have never seen a broke one myself...They STRETCH. you already have streched bolts in that engine. it would be a VERY POOR choice in reusing those bolts. You are dead set on reusing them, reuse them, good luck

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
They don't break, I have never seen a broke one myself...They STRETCH. you already have streched bolts in that engine. it would be a VERY POOR choice in reusing those bolts. You are dead set on reusing them, reuse them, good luck
THIS. and chances are you'll be fine for 10k miles, as long as your not like me when I was your age with a 04 mustang and beat it everywhere I went. But if you beat it a decent mount, change your mind and keep it, or sell it to someone who wants to mod it your making a mistake. With the bolt stretched your asking to spin another bearing. just my .02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts