Modded Mustang Forums banner

Re-using Connecting Rod Bolts

25K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  y2k02 
#1 ·
Ive got a 99 GT that im doing a rebuild on after a spun rod bearing. I know the connecting rod bolts are TTY and most any mechanic will say never reuse them.. but has anyone actually had a reused rod bolt fail? I dont plan on keeping the car more than 10k miles and I doubt ill prob never hit 300hp.. Opinions?

#3 ·
adds up real quick with that mindset.. Ford technicians state they can be torqued safely up to 5 times..

#4 ·
I torqued a head bolt to make sure they were tight never even pulled heads and it snapped buy bolts

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
No harm in reusing them, retorqued them on my f150 checkin rod bearings after my pickup tube plugged, 50,000 + miles later i havnt had a problem. I have done the same when i rebuilt my old gt had patriot heads comp stage 2 cams and wrapped the hell out of it many times down the track no problems. I am a ford technician we have had to reuse them many times with customers on a budget as long as they havnt been retorqued more than a few times like someone stated above dont worry about it just make sure you inspect the threads.

#9 ·
Never re-use rod bolts, head bolts, or main cap bolts!

...and I hope you don't plan on ****ing someone else over with shotty work. You said you only plan to keep the car for 10k. ::Mental Note:: never buy a car from ImRambo!

/thread

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
if you know you had bearing issues...why would you reuse such a crucial part? I Know when I tear into my **** next week, every stock bolt will be replaced with ARP hardware.... Don't take the chance and screw someone else if you plan to sell the car... Don't forget Karma bro

#17 ·
Ya man got screwed over 1500 due to last owners lack of morals.. if I thought the bolts would break for next owner id never consider it

#22 ·
I'm still using my stock flywheel and balancer bolts and have had my engine apart way too many times.
I've seen plenty of posts that guys have re-used them, but never a post where a person had issues from re-using them.
I wonder how many of you guys change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months because you read or was told to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.