Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a little problem with the car. There's a little bit of a "deadspot" in the steeing... and by "little bit" I mean about 1.5" of play in the steering where nothing happens.

It happens when I move the steering wheel in both directions.

Two days ago I put the car up on a lift and grabbed a hold of each tire to try and see where the play was. I noticed that if I held the top and bottom of the drivers wheel I could move it (and the inner tie rod) just under a 1/2 inch. The passenger's wheel was solid.

Time for a new Rack and Pinion or... what? Is there an option to rebuild them? Like new seals/bushings?

Oh and it seemed like the Steering shaft didnt have any play before getting to the rack.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
You might just need a Drivers side Tie Rod end I would look at the end a little better and see if it looks to be worn that would be your best bet to save you from having to purchase and install an entire Rack assembly.And from what you described thats probably your issue

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Yeah my car did the same thing but on both sides the day I drove it home...got some tie rods for $50 and threw em on there in about an hour, hour and a half, good as new.

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Oh one thing that you may not know.

When taking the tie rod ends off you have to spin a nut off...COUNT the number of times you spin the nut or else when setting up your alignment it will be WAY off and take you forever.

Learned this the hard way :mad:

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
i have been chasing down front end play in my car for a while now.... the last thing that i am replacing are the struts. (might have been a good place to start) The strus are worn and let the car have negative camber at rest but when i am moving the camber values increase and decrease which mess with my toe which messes with my steering predictablility. ..... just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts