Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking to take my detailing a step further. It's always been wash, cleaner, polish, wax, but now I want to wash, clay, compound, polish, seal, and wax.

Any thoughts on what rubbing compound to use? Also what pads should I get for the compound? I want to remove as much squrl and rain spots as possible.

As of right now I'm doing all of this by microfiber sponge, cotton pads, and microfiber towels, and all done by hand (no rotary buffer).

Wash - Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wax (With Microfiber Sponge).

Clay - Meguiars Smooth Surface™ Clay Kit and a wash in dishwashing soap.

Rubbing Compound - ??????????????????????????? and ???????? Pads to apply and microfiber towels to wipe off.

Polish & Seal - Blackfire Wet Diamond All-Finish Paint Protection with cotton pads to apply and microfober towel to wipe off.

Wax - Meguiars Deep Crystal® System Carnauba Wax with cotton pad to apply and microfiber towel to wipe off.

Wheels - Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish applied with brillo pad and microfiber towel to wipe off.

I think this is a pretty good set up for under $100 and should have some awesome results for the summer.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Honestly, you're not going to get good correction by hand. I learned that the hard way. Othe than that looks like a great list

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gerbig. Any thoughts on a rubbing compound to use by hand though?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you just stick to your setup you have going...and get a PC or anykind of DA your results will be 100% better and you won't need to switch to anything else!

You seem to have everything you need, so go pick up a used PC!

sorry i'm not answering your question, but damn, just trying to help you out because you must spend FOREVER on your car :p

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PC or DA what's that? Types of buffers? Yeah I know but I'm worried about burning my paint with a buffer that's all.

·
Registered
823 Posts
If you use a Dual Action polisher there is really no way you can burn the paint and the result will be amazing!!

Here is a link to one Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

If you have a lowes around they carry this one too Shop PORTER-CABLE 6" Variable-Speed Random Orbit Sander with Polishing Pad at Lowes.com

You'll just need some pads and a backing plate or skip that and go with this, Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit, pretty much everything you will need and heard nothing but good things about it!! Its my next purchase!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
PC7424xp...there are multiple youtube videos showing guys abusing the hell out of the PC on their own cars and no damage at all! very safe and easy to use, not to mention cuts your detail time down to half, and you can focus on other smaller things!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
You can try Meguiars ultimate compound its an otc product you can use by hand but your not going to get amazing results, but it should help out a bit.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
correction can be done by hand but its gonna take ALONG time and ALOT of elbow grease. Its pretty much impossible to damage your paint with a DA like the PC..unless your a total idiot or the pad flys off and your buffing with velcro..LOL

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
correction can be done by hand but its gonna take ALONG time and ALOT of elbow grease. Its pretty much impossible to damage your paint with a DA like the PC..unless your a total idiot or the pad flys off and your buffing with velcro..LOL
And you can throw the PC/DA at the car as well. Otherwise it's impossible.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Honestly, you're not going to get good correction by hand. I learned that the hard way. Othe than that looks like a great list
I remember I tried to tell you that, but OH NO, don't listin to Zat...

UNLESS.... your paint is stupid thin because your painter is stupid.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANK YOU!!! Sounds like a solid plan since doing it by hand does take forever hense why I procrastinate to get it done. Can't wait to see the before and after results.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
I would recommend a Porter Cable as well...For the price and the sake of your joints...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts