Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the car back on the road after a 6 month stint in storage and I am hearing what appears to be rear axle bearing noise. The noise is not RMP dependent but rather speed dependent. Its sounds somewhat like a whooshing noise and is constant, it doesn't get any better/worst going around corners, braking or accelerating.

Would the rear axle bearings cause that kind of a noise (Keeping in mind that I have poly bushings in the upper and lower control arms)? . And are they prone to go bad only after 34,000 miles? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had a problem with wheel bearings in my car. At first you had to turn the radio down to hear them, but after a month or two I could hear them with the radio on. Mine were loudest @40mph and 65mph, both speeds I drive in a lot. The dealer replaced two of them under warranty. Unfortunately they told me the cost to replace them was over $200 (each) if I'm not mistaken. I hope you don't have to pay that much. My car only has 17k on it, so Ford probably had some defective bearings, I sure didn't wear them out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be swapping them out myself, since I have already done it once on the passenger side when the curb jumped out and hit me. That indecent cracked a rim, bent the axle and cracked the bearing. All was replaced so now it looks like it needs to be done again, but this time on both sides. Should only cost me around $100 for 2 bearing and 2 seals.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bump

The noise almost goes away as the car warms up so, I am really suspecting bearings at this point. But are there any other bearings in the rear that can cause this? It seems to be coming from the wheel area. I am not entirely sure if this is normal noise or not since the noise started back when I installed the LCAs. Can this be normal noise that is just amplified by the polyurethane bushings?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'd suggest doing a complete rebuild. Too many bearings to replace one and find out it's not the cause lol.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would this Ford Racing Kit work? Since I found out that this entire kits only costs about $30 more then only the axle bearings, I might as well get this and do everything.

EDIT: And would I be able to do this all myself or would it be in my best interest to get the shop that installed my 4.10s to do it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts