Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to set in on them a while ago, didn't know they had to be rotated to compress. I googled it found that and done it with a c-clamp and channel locks. Drivers side went smooth as silk, Pass. side was a pure headache. I saw a little fluid on the piston, thought I got into the boot with the pliers, but once I got them put back together had my wife pump the brakes as I watched the piston, no squirts so I guess I didn't hurt the boot. Went with Powerslot C-Tek drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads, seem to be a little better over stock components.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
Man... I don't know how you pulled that off without tearing the rubber boot. I just did mine and I had to go get the caliper tool.

Of course, my stupid ass had the emergency brake on when I tried it the first time. LOL

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, its not absolute sure I didn't get into the boot on the pass. side, Ill look at it this evening to see if its leaking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rear calipers are a pain in the arse. Spinning and pushing the piston back at the same time - would love to meet the engineer who set that up. I'm sure there is a good reason - but when your out there cussing at it because it won't go back together easily, it sure doesn't seem like it was such a good idea!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Oh...and DO NOT FORGET TO ALIGN THE LITTLE PIN ON THE REAR BRAKE PADS WITH THE NOTCH ON THE CALIPER PISTONS!

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! :shiftyeyes

You didn't forget that critical step, did you? :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
What pins.lol.I don't think the pads would seat properly without doing that.What happened to you?
Oh, they look like they seat...and they work fine...on only one edge since they are crooked. :eek:

I caught it right away, but it still goes onto my list of stupid wrenching mistakes I've made over the years.

I always 'fess up so others can learn too.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
When you compressing the piston, your pushing all the brake fluid back through the system, it is a PITA. I used swap out brake calipers on the race car 2-3 time a night, and a trick I used to do, was as I was pushing the piston in, I would crack the bleeder and just push the fluid out that way..

We would go from a .750 dia piston on the RF early in the night, all the way up to a 1.750 piston by the end of the night, depending on track conditions. Sometimes if it was really dry we would even put that .750 on the LR at the end of the night too.. Try to brake it straight!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts