Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always thought front brakes were supposed to wear out before the rear ones because most of the weight is up front and they have to work harder to stop the car. Is this only true with front wheel drive cars? My stang now has 97k on it and the brakes are all original. Les Schwab told me it's time to replace the rears, less than 2mm left on them. The fronts are in good shape though. I was surprised because I always thought front brakes went first, is this not true for rear wheel drive car?

·
2013 5.0
2,982 Posts
So I always thought front brakes were supposed to wear out before the rear ones because most of the weight is up front and they have to work harder to stop the car. Is this only true with front wheel drive cars? My stang now has 97k on it and the brakes are all original. Les Schwab told me it's time to replace the rears, less than 2mm left on them. The fronts are in good shape though. I was surprised because I always thought front brakes went first, is this not true for rear wheel drive car?
I would replace everything... especially if those are your original pads...on 97k

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
your still on original pads? :eek:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I asked when I would need to replace the fronts and the guy said they look good, they should last for awhile. I can't remember off the top of my head how many mm are left on the front. I think part of the reason they have lasted so long is because I have a manual, so I can coast to a stop more than with an auto and use engine braking in combination with the actual brakes. I also do a lot of highway driving where I obviously don't use the brakes. But is it normal for the rears to go first on our cars?

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
No it's not normal and that's insane if you're still on your original pads. I think it would have ground through the rotors by now if that were the case :lol

Are you the first owner of the car? Because it's possible that the PO just replaced the front pads and didn't touch the rear. I would take both front and rears apart and replace the pads all around. If the rear still wear faster, you may have seized calipers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A set of pads for the fronts/rears will run you 50-75 bucks and 1-2 hrs of your time to change out. Its not too hard at all. The main thing is that the front caliper pistons can be compressed with a c clamp, but you have to borrow a tool from autozone or wherever for the backs because they have to be screwed in.

97k on original pads is scary. I change mine typically every 30-40k. Also, check your floating pins on your caliper brackets. There are little rubber boots that go cover the floating pin and if that breaks (which it usually does) then you will have to replace it and relube the pin. If water gets in there, it can rust and cause the pads to drag against the rotor and cause premature wear.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
There its absolutely no way that you are still on the originals.

·
2013 5.0
2,982 Posts
There its absolutely no way that you are still on the originals.
Ummm actually there is a way... There are plenty of roads out in AZ that you can pass through without hitting a light or stop sign... he could potentially drive through those [email protected]

@ 8 hours a day, that would be 320 miles a day, only stopping for gas and then to go home, would put little wear on the brakes while racking up 97k in about 2 years :eek:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Do you know for a fact that is what he drives? I don't think so.

Let's also remember that his fronts are fine, and the rears are gone. I'm just saying the fronts have probably been replaced.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it's a long time to go on a set of pads, but I can tell you that they are indeed the original pads. I'm the 2nd owner of my car and have had it since 2009 when it had 19k miles on it. The original owner was a middle aged man in the military so it spent most of the first 7 years of it's life parked and garaged. He kept good records so I have documentation of everything ever done to it. I know I got my moneys worth with these pads, I'm still just confused as to why the fronts wouldn't be worn out yet. I don't think it's a bad problem to have, just doesn't make sense to me.

The only other thing I can say as to why they've lasted this long is that I live in Eastern Washington, in a desert region, kind of like phoenix believe it or not (I know it's Washington lol, but Seattle's weather is way different). Most of my driving is highway miles. I used to live in Western Washington and commuted in horrible traffic 30 miles one way everyday for about 2 years, but now that I'm in Richland, it's almost all highway. I've put just over 77k miles on my car in the 3.5 years I've had it, so I drive a ton, but I'd say close to 60k of those miles have been highway.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That is friggen ridiculous. I would suggest looking at the rear caliper pins for sticking. When you replace the pads try to clean them and lube them up really well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts