Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a disc brake kit (with an emergency brake option) for an 8 inch rear? Or am I OK rebuilding the drums? The car will be a street cruiser with 302 crate motor and T5 trans.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
From a safety and performance standpoint drums will be more than adequate. The only reason to swap to discs is ease of maintenance. If that is your desire there are lots of kits available. I've seen them on eBay for about $350.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Cruzn96,

To be honest? I swapped a 8.8 from an explorer into my 67. You should look into it as they're equipped with disc brakes, gears, limited slip and 31 spline axles.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. My 8 inch has been rebuilt with 3.55 gears, new limited slip diff, bearings, etc. I'll keep it for now, but will look into alternatives.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Cobra rear bracket kit for 8" or 9" small, big, Torino bearing & 8.8 rear ends

I have used SoT's rear disc brackets on 2 rear ends. The work perfectly, allowing you to mount 04 cobra rear disc brakes and have a working parking brake. Been running them on my daily driven 68 for about 2 years now, no issues.

I have a used set of brakcets that will work on your 8" rear end that I will sell. PM me if you want more info on that. I upgraded to a big bearing 9" so I had to get new brackets. These are just sitting around.

You don't have to replace the bearing to install these brackets either. They slip over the shaft and bolt right up.

Here's a picture of the brakes on an 8" rear.

20150508_113452 by Edgethis, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts