Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my 31 spline axels, 3.73's, cobra lsd, and all new bearings and seals installed last night in my 01 gt. The shop said their is no breakin period just drive home normal since it was a 80mile drive for me from pa to md and I should be fine. Is this true if not what is the break-in period procedure? and does the rear fluid have to be changed again shortly? just wanna know wanna get back to the track :rockon and not mess nothing up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My opinion (and yes we do rear gears too), if you go to the popular rear end/gears web sites, they suggest a proper break-in procedure, they vary, but still suggest it. We do it:
raise the rear end, start it, put it in 1st gear, let it run till it gets hot, let cool, drive it with out heavy loads, lite throttle, let it cool, then drive it in figure eights, let cool, then drive it for about a 3-5 hundred miles, change oil, look for metal shavings, weird stuff in oil...then rockNroll....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Whenever I swapped in my 3.73s I was told to wait until I drove around 400 miles until I ripped on it. So of course I drove it about an hour and then beat the hell out of it. Did the swap around October last year and no problems. But not a bad idea to take the cover off and look at the wear marks. Also remove the fill plug on the top of the housing. Its magnetic so look to see if it picked up any metal shavings.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Take it easy, lay off the burnouts for a while. If it were my car, I'd drive it conservatively for about a 3 weeks. Everyone's automotive luck is different and you don't wanna find out yours is about to change when it's too late!

Keep an ear out for gear noise and change the fluid after breaking them in. An ounce of prevention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts