Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short: I have a single bulb in my passenger tail out. I replaced the bulb and it still does not work. The bulb came in a pack of two, and the other one works but in a different socket.

I hooked up my multimeter to the positive going to this bulb's socket. It is reading 8.7v steady. What could be going on here? This is the only bulb socket doin this.

The bulb that went out had 2 burn marks on the filiment, but the filiment was not broken.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Any pinched wires on the bottom, inner truckside of the decklid where the wiring harness is (ie 3rd brake light, etc.)?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not checked. I don't have the time to fix it atm since I am heading to Memphis in 2 hours :D

I will check it out Sunday. I was planning on tracing the wires that controll that bulb to their orign and testing the power supply there. Or I could just say to hell with it and re wire the socket directly to the harness with new wire.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
planning on trying to trace this down this weekend. Anyone have some pics on where the wires for the taillights converge together? I figure it goes from each taillight to some form of controller in the trunk somewhere and then toward the front of the car?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
if you pull the carpeting inside your trunk out you will see where they connect and then you can trace the wires from there. easiest way is to do a continuity check

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you pull the carpeting inside your trunk out you will see where they connect and then you can trace the wires from there. easiest way is to do a continuity check
What is the "continuity check" you speak of?

Hopefully I can do this on sunday, since I have to take my subs out to do it :(

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
What is the "continuity check" you speak of?

Hopefully I can do this on sunday, since I have to take my subs out to do it :(
On your multimeter if you have a continuity beep setting when you touch the two leads together it should beep. Easy way to check wiring for a break.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
doesnt necessarily have to have a beep although it makes life alot easier. as long as its got a setting on it then you are good. take one probe and then clip it onto the beginning of the wire that is suspect and then take the other lead and work you way away from it. what will happen is if there is a break then you will not get a reading or a beep. start off by working in about 5 inch intervals until you find something then when you do find it something start working your way back until you get a reading or a beep then back away till you get nothing until you find where it is at.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Each time you move the led 5in further away, does it need to be touching bare wire... thus callin for a strip even 5in?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
you can do that or you can take a needle and pierce it enough (not all the way through) and then take your leads and touch the needle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts