Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have been lazy i admit it, i have been getting spots from my rearend for about 5 months, well im finally going to do something about it. what gear oil should i use? royal purple? also what friction modifier will get my clutches in my trac lok to grab better and preserve the life of them...sort of off topic but i dont feel like starting another tread for this part...i just got my hads on a set of bfg kdw tires...245 45 17...will there be a difference from the bfg kdws that are on there now?

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Royal Purple, aside from the price. As for the traction-lok, I'm clueless. But, on the Royal Purple subject, I suggest it, it's what I'm using in a few weeks here to refill my diff with when I get my gears put in.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have also only heard good about royal purple. I know it has the special formulation so that you don't need the posi trac addative. I dont know if it is going to extend its life for sure but I know when I get my gears installed thats what i'm using

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Id still put the additive in there. Along with some 75/140 synthetic. They sell the additive at all the auto parts stores, I forget the name but it usually comes in a white squeeze tube

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i think its actually called limited slip addative. i know, crazy right. If i was workin today i would let you knwo for sure, it's right next to the gear oil at autozone.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok...lol im going with strait royal purple...where is the fill plug?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I always get the friction modifyer from the dealership, and word to the wise that stuff smells nasty. I think it's $13.00 for like a 3oz bottle.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put it in through the vent hole with the car at an angle...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Id still put the additive in there. Along with some 75/140 synthetic. They sell the additive at all the auto parts stores, I forget the name but it usually comes in a white squeeze tube
+1
It doesn't harm anything.
Even the Mobil 1 Gear Oil, which comes with LSD additive already suggests "for severe duty" add extra Friction Modifier.

That's what I did when I changed mine.

BTW wear the oldest cloths you can find, rubber gloves, plenty of rags etc because that gear oil SMELLS HORRIBLE.
And once you get it on something, that something is ruined.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol...not my first rear end change but the last time it was a 7.5 to 8,8 conversion and i built the whole axel outside of the car...and im on just royal purple righ tnow, i will get the friction modifier tomorrow morning

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
+1

BTW wear the oldest cloths you can find, rubber gloves, plenty of rags etc because that gear oil SMELLS HORRIBLE.
And once you get it on something, that something is ruined.
u wanna smell something horrible try changing the fluid out of a burned up transmission or rear end on a semi truck or coal truck,thats a nasty smell lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts