Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having trouble finding out what gear ratio my rear end is i blew the spider gears in it and i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to figure it out. Also there is a chip in the pinion gear, so i was also wondering if i shouldnt just take the opportunity to install better gears or just find a rear end from a scrap yard which i have, but i just want to figure out my options before i make my final decision. And funds r limited. Any and all responses are appreciated.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
You should have 2.73 gears. Honestly, I would take this opportunity to go with a steeper gear ratio because 2.73s are very low. 99-04s got 3.27s stock and most of us feel like those aren't good enough. 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10 gears are all great choices. You should be able to get a set of gears for under $200 (or you could look around for used gears if your funds are really, really limited). I'm not sure just how limited your funds are, but if you can come up with another $200 I highly recommend getting a tlok as well to increase your traction and stop doing 1 wheel burnouts :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Looks like il go with 4:10 gears wen i can save for it, and if they fit, cause my goal is 400-500 whp in the future so might as well, and just curious what does "tlok" mean? Also, i can save about 50-100$ a week if im lucky.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Thanks. Looks like il go with 4:10 gears wen i can save for it cause my goal is 400-500 whp in the future so might as well, and just curious what does "tlok" mean? Also, i can save about 50-100$ a week if im lucky.
"Tlok" is Is a Differential that puts equal power to both wheels thus increasing traction and performance. Ford calls it "tlok", Gm calls it "possi", and Limited Slip is another name for it. If your looking in the 400-500 whp range go with an 8.8 differential. These come with tloks and can take a bigger beating. Although new these will cost your a lot more, but your can probably find a used one on craigslist for cheap.

I would estimate like 600-700 for a 7.5 tlok and gears and install. I think Ive seen some people get used tloks with gears for as cheap as 300. You will also need to recalibrate your speedometer as it will be off by a lot with the new gears. A tuner will do this (400 bucks), which you can also use to get tunes for your car and adjust settings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks for the info. I have found a rear end out of a 2000 mustang at a salvage yard with 3:73 gears

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would a rear end out of a 2000 mustang fit in my car with no modifications since the wheelbase is the same?

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
4.10s!!

and a posi..

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Would a rear end out of a 2000 mustang fit in my car with no modifications since the wheelbase is the same?
Yes. I know that swapping either a SN95 8.8 onto a NE or visa verse requires the drilling of 2 holes, but I can't remember which way requires the drilling. So worst case scenario you have to drill 2 holes. Also, I believe the 99-04 8.8 is 1" wider than the 94-98 8.8. Not really a big deal, your wheels will just be 1/2" further out on each side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome. actually thats perfectly fine by me cause they sit like an inch inside the wheel well already so that shouldnt change it too bad.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Sn95 in a NE requires enlarging the LCA holes on the rearend. Mines from a 98.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
awesome. actually thats perfectly fine by me cause they sit like an inch inside the wheel well already so that shouldnt change it too bad.
Sn95 is about an inch narrower.

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Swapping to a new edge rear should be a piece of cake. Just be aware that the lower control arms bolts and holes are bigger than the 94-98's.

I know from experience.lol

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I know too. :p

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
4.10s are a big no no imo on stock singleports

remember that your engine redlines a little earlier than the splits. you be ripping through the gears way too quick...especially with a 5 speed.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Twin turbo M90 nitrous high (11:1) compression engine. Oh. And stickers and a spoiler.

@walt.
I have 4.10s and a t5 and I don't rip through them too fast.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
But you're running a split port engine (unless you swapped in a single port). I've got 4.10s and a T5 in my split port as well. I only rip through 1st and 2nd gear.
I know. But their redline is only 5100 when ours is 5250. Not much different.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I know. But their redline is only 5100 when ours is 5250. Not much different.
our cars make peak power at 5500 and on singleports its 150hp @ 4000. so you should take it a little past redline in our cars and that makes it not that bad. theres no sense shifting past redline in a single and some actually say its better to shift before redline to stay in the powerband so as you can imagine the gears could be extremely short.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts