Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened. I was driving, shifted to second and bang.

I thought maybe it was an unusually hard shift for some reason but didn't think anything of it until I tried to take a turn. All I heard after that was...

Bang, grind, clunk clunk and then the rear wheels locking up.

Sooooo in short. I'll FINALLY be putting my 4.10s and t lok in on Tuesday.

Although I'll have to trailer the car to school to do the install. I'm just glad I already had the parts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jesus you have some terrible luck. I swear I remember you posting about something else that broke a couple months ago...

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Let me get this straight...you were driving while it happened? Not parked?

:tomato ! kidding :shiftyeyes

You putting an 8.8 in it?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did.

My torque converter blew out about 5 months ago. It was great.

No, not an 8.8. 4.10's and a 7.5 t lok. I don't run enough power for an 8.8. I think this rear just had enough abuse is all.

If I blow it again. I'll just rebuild it until I can buy an 8.8.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I did.

My torque converter blew out about 5 months ago. It was great.

No, not an 8.8. 4.10's and a 7.5 t lok. I don't run enough power for an 8.8. I think this rear just had enough abuse is all.

If I blow it again. I'll just rebuild it until I can buy an 8.8.
*gasps*

Noah built a badass arc the first time, and he never had to rebuild it. Yeah he did have God's help, but he went strong the first time is what I guess I'm getting at.

·
Registered
978 Posts
man that is crazy at least everything is ok. man your gonna enjoy those 4.10's bro!!

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I wasn't able to put the 4.10's in at the moment so I'll do it in a few weeks when I have access to a lift. I was however able to swap the carrier to my tlok in the parking lot.

Here are a few pics of what happened.

The retaining bolt for the pinion pin broke in 2 pieces. Luckly I was able to get it out after an hour of frustration.

And the reason it was making such a fuss was because the side gears broke 3 teeth and chewed up a bunch more.

Close up shot of the damage.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/fjacob89/1116091528-02.jpg

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
it takes all of a few min just to remove the pinion gear and correctly put it in...you have to remove the ring gear anyway....now you have to do the job twice...doesnt make to much sense

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to get the car back on the road I was missing school and work.

I put this in just so I could get around for now. I'll be doing the gears when I get back to school and have access to a lift and any special tools that I need there. I had to do the carrier in the parking lot of my apartment buildings.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
the diff install still requires the use of a special tool to measure backlash and bearing pressure
all that is a dial indicator on a magnetic base and a torque wrench

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
all that is a dial indicator on a magnetic base and a torque wrench
So he'd carry that and not a tool to measure pinion depth so he can take the extra whole 5min to install the pinion gear?

I know what tool it is...but the logic made no sense...
he'll waste money in gear oil
time by removing what he just installed
and possible more down time

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I reused the original shims, the backlash was not excessive and I get the oil and friction modifier for free.

I used new bearings on the carrier which I pressed on at work.

As for more down time, that wont matter. I'll have plenty of time at school to do it the only reason I didn't do it all at once is because at the moment we're rebuilding manual transmissions and not rear ends. The rear ends will be covered some time in the next few weeks. At that point I'll be able to do it at school and get a grade for doing it.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I reused the original shims, the backlash was not excessive and I get the oil and friction modifier for free.

I used new bearings on the carrier which I pressed on at work.

As for more down time, that wont matter. I'll have plenty of time at school to do it the only reason I didn't do it all at once is because at the moment we're rebuilding manual transmissions and not rear ends. The rear ends will be covered some time in the next few weeks. At that point I'll be able to do it at school and get a grade for doing it.
that alone tells me the job was done wrong....
backlash was not excessive? how could you know? your hands and eyes are ten thousandths of an inch accurate? because its impossible.
how did you check it?
you cannot re-use the original shims, you need to buy the bearing and shim kit because it wont work.
not only that but theres only 1 shim per side (stock). Did you know one is thicker then the other by just a few thousandths of an inch?

do you know what back lash is? your going to drive around for a few weeks on guess work?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made sure that the shims were put back the same way they came out, I also used marking paint to check gear mesh pattern.

The shims can be reused. On the pinion however you cannot reuse the crush sleeve, bearings, seal or nut.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I made sure that the shims were put back the same way they came out, I also used marking paint to check gear mesh pattern.

The shims can be reused. On the pinion however you cannot reuse the crush sleeve, bearings, seal or nut.
SO that doesnt matter
those shims are not for that posi. I couldnt use them for my ford racing posi. the bearing load was inncorrect and backlass was off!
but w/e I've only replaced mine 3 times. i dont have a clue right.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you had to replace it 3 times, then probably not.

I suggest you leave it at that. This is not the section to argue in.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
If you had to replace it 3 times, then probably not.

I suggest you leave it at that. This is not the section to argue in.
lol unlike you buddy i replaced mine cause i made power.
i wont be replacing mine because i thought i knew what i was doing but ended up having premature wear.

i blew my stock rear on 280whp
blew my ford racing posi on 313rwhp&320rwtq while blowing my tranny
then installed my detriot tru trac
its been in the car from 313rwhp&320rwhq to 497rwhp&508rwtq still with a 7.5 rear (thats what? almost 3 times the power and torque you make right?) . But HEY I KNOW NOTHING right. I've been there done that with 3 times the power you make. shut up and listen when you get good advice.
you did it wrong PERIOD. any tranny or diff shop would tell you the same crap.
btw when i installed ford racing posi it from stock it required a shim kit that i had to buy
then the tru trac required different shims on each side to level the back lash perfect and have the correct bearing load. thats been in my car for 10,000+miles through more abuse then your car could ever give it. racing mulitple times a week.

also notice i replaced it with better upgrades you ignorant fool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts