Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at the drags last seson and I was all excited that I had drag radials and went to heat them up and the car all of a sudden started slowly slding left then one tire would grab and I was stuck with a one wheel wonder that could not heat up tires.... So I am taking a wild guess and saying my clutch packs are gone. I am thinking of getting some gears and just running n/a and maybe going with juice or s/c with around 10-14psi in the future... Should I be looking into replacing the clutch packs and maybe going with the cobra cf ones? or is there another option people would reccommend that isn't going to kill my wallet too bad thanks for your input

·
Registered
806 Posts
so your saying only one wheel was spinning?

if so your differential is done

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
what is killing your wallet?

get your diff rebuilt.

buy a locker.

ford explorer t-lock 31 spline and get some aftermarket axles.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Sounds like mine... got stuck in the snow the other day and spun the wheels forever it seemed. Now only the right side spins while I hear a clicking kinda noise from the diff and the other wheel stays stationary. Please don't tell me my car isn't driveable any more! It's my only way of transport. Oh, it's a 2001 GT.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people I talked too said it sounded like the clutch packs were gone and replacing them would fix the problem for a while but that I would be right back in no time to 1 wheel spinning... And I would rather not dump a bunch of money into my daily driver / track beater I put most of the extra cash i get into the cobra:D

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i beat the living **** out of my car without problems from the diff. yeah the clutches will wear, but they dont wear really fast. you can get a diff rebuild kit pretty cheap, and upgrade to the carbon fiber kit fairly priced. if you wanted to go to a 31 spline set up, you can just change the spiders out while you are there.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
yeah if your planning on racing much with drag radiasl or slicks, id spend the extra couple hundred and upgrade to some 31 spline axles and a nice eaton setup or if your hurtin for money the 31 spline explorer unit is opkay but it wont las tlike the eaotn will but it is rebuildable which is good

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
have you checked your rear end fluid? mine started doin that shortly after i got it.. peg legging at the track durin burn outs.. so i checked the fluid and it was really low.. i did a fluid change and put some of that posi loc additive you can get at the local auto parts store and she is good as gold now... doin both tire burn outs on dry pavement and never peg legs.. and supprisingly sustaining 4k launches.. ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts