Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak coming from the front of the differential. Its where the driveshaft meets the Diff. What all do i need to fix the problem and how do i do it. Is it something i can do or no?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. all you need is a seal to fix the problem. you have to disconnect it from the differential and all that good stuff. you might also want to add some gear oil since you have been leaking it. you can do it or you can take it to a shop they will carge around $100 for the work, the seal is like $20, and I got royal purple so you will pay like $20-30 for oil.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so where can i get the seal? Do i dissconnect the driveshaft and the seal is right there? Also how do i refill the Diff, do i just pore the liquid right in where the driveshaft meets. Just want to make sure i understand it all before i do it.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
There is a fill plug on the side of the diff. You will need to disconnect the driveshaft, remove the pinion nut. A seal puller will be handy to remove the seal. You can use a large socket and a hammer to drive the new seal into place, but be carefull not to damage it. Then retighten the pinion nut, just dont over torque it as that could cause problems. Id say its about a 1 beer job, pretty simple.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got my seal from Ford. Im sure it was a little more expensive that another place but they had it other places had to order it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well any link where i could order the rear end seal
?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i got mine from o'reillys...

autozone has them too

i always put extra silicone around the pinion bolt and around the seal too

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok and what about the seal puller. Is that at an auto parts store or no

·
Registered
922 Posts
you can probably rent the seal puller from the auto parts store. But do you not need a new crush collar as well?

·
Registered
975 Posts
the ford book says to pull the wheels and drive shaft. then release the e-brake. using a bending bar type torque wrench measure the amount of torque it takes to complete 2 revolutions. write that down. the replace the seal as stated above. when installing the nut torque it to the measure you recieved earlier as long as it in not under the minimum as stated my the manual. ill look when i get home to see what the min torque is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the ford book says to pull the wheels and drive shaft. then release the e-brake. using a bending bar type torque wrench measure the amount of torque it takes to complete 2 revolutions. write that down. the replace the seal as stated above. when installing the nut torque it to the measure you recieved earlier as long as it in not under the minimum as stated my the manual. ill look when i get home to see what the min torque is.
dID YOU EVER FIND THE TORQUE? iM GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS TO A REAREND I JUST BOUGHT FOR MINE AND IM GOING TO NEED SOME HELP FIGURING OUT HOW TO DO THIS CORRECTLY. THANKS

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
take a chisel and start at the edge of the seal. if you keep at it the seal will collapse and can be pulled out by hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts