Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Recently my rear end has started to fail in my 95 mustang 3.8. What I would like to know is how I can upgrade to some 3.73s? Im looking for something out of a junkyard. What rear ends will fit my car? I have heard that the 1990+ 4x4 rangers M/T have 3.73 gears and a 7.5 rear end. My mustang had a 7.5 as well but the gears would be 2.72 or something like that, Idk.

Does anyone know if the ranger information is true? Or know of any other options for my stang? Im down with replacing the gears only, or the entire rear end assembly. I really just want 3.73 on a budget.

By the way my 95 stang has a t-5 WC transmission. What are your opinions on the gears? Will I notice a considerable difference in low end acceleration by jumping to 3.73s?

This is my first time on this forum but I like what I see so far!

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Where do you live?

I have my old 7.5 i would sell cheap, and I know a guy locally that would install whatever you want cheap.

Your rear is 2.73s. That rear is the stock 3.27. It needs repairs so id say get new internals for it. You will want to go with a tlok, trust me.

I noticed a huge difference between 3.27-3.73s I know moving that high up would be insane for you !! you'd be very happy with that !!! But for simplicity, I would find a 7.5 or an 8.8 out of a 94-98 mustang. 8.8 is a direct swap w/ a tlok already in it. Or should be, 99-04 it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in TN, looking for some 3.73s for sure though, I really just don't know what cars I can snatch an entire rear end assembly out of at the salvage yard that will have 3.73s and bolt right up to my car. I want to be able to use my original brake calipers and all that mess.

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
darn ok, well id look into the same body style mustang. If the 8.8 is like the 99-04, either a 7.5 or an 8.8 from a GT will work from a 94-98

Id look into that and buy a tlok and gears, an 8.8 already has a tlok in it. But if you buy new gears, you'll want to buy the bearing kit, and its always good to get a rebuild kit for a used tlok too, expensive proccess, but you'll be happy with the extra "power" you feel !

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
save your self the trouble and find one out of the same body style of mustang that you have, then it will be a direct swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rear end isn't really "broken." I'm just having trouble figuring out whats wrong with it. Its not even a problem with the gears, its that my axles seals keep leaking.

I went to replace the driver rear and passenger rear bearing and after doing so I now have a leak on the passenger rear axle seal (which i replaced with a new one when replacing bearings). I thought maybe I got a bad new seal so once again I replaced the seal again. Still leaks! I dont know what i did wrong but it wasn't leaking before I put the bearings in so idk whats happening. I'm just tired of messing with it.

I do notice that with the vehicle off the ground on stands, if someone applies the brakes, the passenger rear tire (the one that has the leaking axle seal that wont stop leaking after double replacement) will wobble!!! Why? idk? ANY suggestions?

I would like to fix my seal problem and just sling some 3.73s into my 7.5 for now.

Anybody know what year rangers have 3.73s and a 7.5 so I can just make everything easy on myself?

·
Registered
304 Posts
The only way I can see the wheel and axle moving around is if the axle shaft fits loosely in the bearing. If the wheel can move around then the bearing you got isn't the right one or the bearing race on your axle shaft is worn out. Did you compare the new bearing to old one? Why were you replacing the wheel bearings; if they were noisey then it's very likely that your problem could be that your axle shaft has been worn badly by the bad bearing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
mustangmike, so you are saying if I wanted to replace my 7.5 rear end with an 8.8 from a GT it is a direct swap? no other parts needed? I have an 04 btw...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts