Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok EVERYTIME I try and search this I'm pretty much either getting a lot of info on the model years before mine and I get an error message on the forum. Plain and simple switching from the 7.5 to the v8 8.8 rear end consists of?? I hear this is pretty simple to do but I want to know what it consists of (parts). What gears do you suggest considering if I decide to upgrade those from the stock v8 gears it would be smarter labor wise to do all of this at the same time.... I know I had several questions posted but its mostly on things I needed clarification on... Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
It's a bolt-in swap. As far as gear selection goes, what are your other mods? Is the car a manual or auto? How is the car used (highway/city/track only)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She will be a weekend driver, project car. Street, show, and strip for fun later possibly. It will need to handle some power.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
That is way too vague for me to make a suggestion. CliffyK has a good calculator on his site if you want to see the rpm/speed correlation of different gear ratios.

PaladinMicro

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been looking at this for a while too, interested to see how it goes for you and if you have some good pics of the transfer. I think you need a different yoke to mate up the driveshaft to a V6, which I believe is easy to have fabbed at local machine shops. I think if you have the $ you should switch to an aluminum driveshaft while doing it.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've been looking at this for a while too, interested to see how it goes for you and if you have some good pics of the transfer. I think you need a different yoke to mate up the driveshaft to a V6, which I believe is easy to have fabbed at local machine shops. I think if you have the $ you should switch to an aluminum driveshaft while doing it.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You dont need anything for install except a rear end. OP, you can bolt in any 99-04 8.8 rear (minus the IRS). Throw some new gears in it, new fluid with an LSD additive and maybe a new tlok if your planning to make serious power.

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
You dont need anything for install except a rear end. OP, you can bolt in any 99-04 8.8 rear (minus the IRS). Throw some new gears in it, new fluid with an LSD additive and maybe a new tlok if your planning to make serious power.
This^

Its a straight swap in for 99-04 NE stangs. Get the GT, comes with a tlok already on it, and bolt it in.

If you can't find that, the GT SN95 years will bolt in but are a shorter wheelbase, so unless you wanna look like a golf cart, get some hubcentric wheel spacers. Expect to pay around $300 for either one from a yard, unless you have a hookup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Expect to pay around $300 for either one from a yard, unless you have a hookup.
Classified ads are awesome sometimes, I got a a complete 8.8 rear end, quad shock brackets, and the rear sway bar for $160 :) I'll be putting it in this summer when it's good weather and I have time.

And I think the quad shocks work if you just get the brackets and bracket bolts, at least that's what I've heard.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are the quad shocks worth installing on the v6? What's the benefit of using them vs not? Just curious I plan on installing my 8.8 this summer once I stuff some 3.55's or 3.73's in it. Currently set-up with 4.10s and t-lok in the 7.5 but the 4.10s have been killer on the highway cant wait to change those out too.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would only bump it down to the 3.73's. The quad shocks are supposed to help with wheel hop iirc... But they are also create more binding in the suspension iirc...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The quad shocks do bolt up. The holes in the frame rails or the brackets are there. Just tap the threads before you go to put the bolt in so you dont strip it like mine did.

You can get by just fine with or without the quad shocks. They help reduce bumpsteer with a stock height mustang. A lot of people just remove them when you lower the vehicle because it doesnt help as much and the lowering helps to remove the bumpsteer.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Quad shocks reduce wheelhop, not bumpsteer. They are unnecessary with a good set of aftermarket LCA's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sort of delayed reaction, but dang I suck. Good to know it's easier than I thought though.

Someone find my thread on v6mo. Its a step by step walk through.
I think I found that thread here:

7.5 axle to 8.8

Anyways, I can't believe you got away with doing that out on the street. Well played sir.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts