Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Are the only rear ends that are pretty easy to make fit mustang rear ends?

That's just lite humor, but I think you're asking if there are any other rear ends that can easily swap into your Mustang?

If that's the question, yes there are. All of the 8.8 rear ends are about the same, there might be some differences like drums brakes, etc.

·
Registered
808 Posts
uhhhhh...why would you want to put anything but an 8.8 or 9" in ? If you have a 9" made to fit be prepared for big $$$$$. You don't need that though a built 8.8 will be good up to 1000hp.
You will want a 94-98 mustang rear end as 99-04 read ends are a different width. What is your car ? a V6? If so a v8 car rear will work.
Really doesnt make sense to use anything but a mustang rear end.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
uhhhhh...why would you want to put anything but an 8.8 or 9" in ? If you have a 9" made to fit be prepared for big $$$$$. You don't need that though a built 8.8 will be good up to 1000hp.
You will want a 94-98 mustang rear end as 99-04 read ends are a different width. What is your car ? a V6? If so a v8 car rear will work.
Really doesnt make sense to use anything but a mustang rear end.
+1

·
Registered
267 Posts
8.8 or 9 inch are only options. Everything else is junk. I would be embarrassed to put a different rearend under my car.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
There's a reason that all the Chevy and Mopar guys swap Ford rear ends under their built cars.

The 8.8 is cheap, plentiful, and stronger than what 99% of what people need. The 9" used to take that honor, but it's been almost 30 years since the last one rolled off the assembly line, so they're no longer cheap or plentiful.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, what rear end would you want to swap into your car?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay let me be even more specific. I am talking about the Ford manufacturing, 8.8 rear ends. NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

What FORD vehicles have 8.8, yes 8.8 and one more time, 8.8 FORD rear ends that are easily put into mustangs.

Here is an example if I cant be more specific. I have a FORD mustang that used to be a v6, 7.5 FORD rear end. Its a v8 now and I am wanting to put a FORD 8.8, yea 8.8 (8.8) in the FORD mustang. If I were to get a rear end from a FORD crown vic, FORD 8.8, would it take a lot of modification to make it bolt up to the FORD mustang.

Putting a FORD 8.8 from another vehicle into a FORD mustang, which other vehicle would be ideal.

I am not talking about putting any other 'brand' rear end in, not sure where that came from.

I want a 8.8, I am asking from which vehicle can I take them from and make them work other than mustangs. I know what built 8.8's are capable which is why I am looking for one.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
dude....dont be a douchebag....lol...try using the google search button, its really not that hard to do. Posts like yours make guys like me not want to help you...just sayin

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
If you have a mustang it needs a mustang rear end.

They're not hard to find.

If you choose to be different and pull a rear out of something else, fab up the brackets and everything else then good for you.

Please post the pictures up later of your car's wheels hanging out the side.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Ford ranger and explorer are popular choices for an out of platform rear end swap.

I'm guessing upper and lower control arm mounts would need to be welded on being that the two aforementioned vehicles have different suspension setups.

Shouldn't be hard to do, if you have fab skills, a plumb bob, a level and degree gauge, and some measurements to work off of.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I wanted to know if people make ranger rears or crown vic rears work. Used that little search function and didnt find much so I didnt figure it was too popular. Just thought I would ask.

Got a plasma, mig, and tig. Not looking for a huge project tho.

If you don't wanna help thats fine, don't post. Easy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More or less what I was looking for. thanks

Ford ranger and explorer are popular choices for an out of platform rear end swap.

I'm guessing upper and lower control arm mounts would need to be welded on being that the two aforementioned vehicles have different suspension setups.

Shouldn't be hard to do, if you have fab skills, a plumb bob, a level and degree gauge, and some measurements to work off of.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Im sure the widths are different on the ranger and explorer rear ends. The explorer even has an offset pumpkin so that wont work. Axles are different lenghts also. Ring gear, pinion, and carrier will interchange and will be 31 spline. you will be better off finding a mustang v8 8.8 and not make it so damn hard to achieve your goal. They can be had for cheap. Anywhere from 250-500.
And in the future post what your thinkng. We cant read minds.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Please post the pictures up later of your car's wheels hanging out the side.
Or your drive shaft running at an angle due to using the explorer rear which has an offset pumpkin. It has been done though.
I guess you could buy new wheels with the correct offset to fix the width issue. Buy why go that route?

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Or maybe he just wants an 8.8 housing and wants to fab his own tubes and brackets for a fun project or say he did it. There's a lot of things I do that would be much easier to buy, but I enjoy the project most likely more than the end result most of the times.

And if the guy owns a plasma, a mig and a tig, I'm willing to guess he likes tinkering and playing around like I do...

Also, I have had one hell of a hard time finding a mustang 8.8 rear axle on Craigslist around here, but I see ranger and explorer rear ends all the time. Maybe it's just because of availability in his area? I dunno.

He just asked what COULD work, I told him lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts