Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about a squeeking that was driving me bonkers! Well i finally broke down and couldnt figure out wth was wrong with it so i took it into the shop. Got it back today and they said they "beleive" its my rear gears, i've never heard of rear gears squeeking from stress. Its just odd to me cause the noise comes from the passenger side. When i roll up that window its gone completly. I tried replicating the sound when i had the car on jacks but got no results cause apparently there wasnt any stress on the gears. So now..its down the this, i spend the money to replace them and risk that not even being the problem. If i was to replace them would it be better to get 3.55's or 3.73's since i have a new motor on the way and a F/I kit in the garage, or just go buy another set of 4.10's? I have no idea how the gears were installed cause they came with the car when i bought it and it made me wonder cause the kid had no idea what he was talking about.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
what kind of squeaking is it? the gears shouldnt make any noise (aside from a gear whine) however if the clutch packs in the differential can make noise when you turn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats the weird thing...i thought it was my rotor cause the car would squeek once the drive line reached a certain spot..it only squeeks when it gets to a certain part. I know its not gear whine, sounds like taking a nice brand new basketball shoe and scuffing up the court. closest high pitched sound i can think of.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have never heard gears squeek. The only thing that I know that does that in the differential is the clutch pack. When my clutch pack was going out they made that noise going around a corner. But I didn't hear it going in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
check your rear brakes? How about rear control arms, have any solid bushings back there?
I agree about the rear control arms, although even if they aren't solid bushings, they can squeak. I would check the bushings. Make sure they aren't torn or damaged. There is also a possibility that the spring isolators could be going bad and cause the squeaking.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Oh...I was also thinking...there is a possibility it could be the axle bearings, as well. Just thinking of any possibilities that can be specific to the side of the vehicle it is on. lol

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
My car was makeing a squeaking/squeal noise from the rear end of my car for almost 4 months before i realized a slide pin on the rear caliper was seized in the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well..i checked my bushings and did noticed my dam spring isolators are blown but doesnt explain why it goes away when i hit the brakes? Why i thought it was the brakes....this is so frustrating!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts