Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some time, so I tore into my drive train tonight.

Got the T45 out, it sucks the bell housing has to come off with the trans. I have no idea how I am going to get the thing back in. I may be calling a mobile mechanic to help me out later this weekend.

That 3rd starter bolt kick my ass again, that had me hung up for over an hour.
Pulled the clutch, pressure plate and fly-wheel. It all did not look that bad, but I am getting the fly wheel turned somewhere tomorrow and I have a new zoom clutch set ready to go in.

The seal cover was damaged. I have a new seal, but there is a piece that fits over the seal - it;s round and it sits in the retainer block also.

I am also trying to change the oil pan gasket since I am into this so deep. I am shooting for a 100% dry under body - sick of the sloppy oily look. My plan is to support the engine with a 2X4 and chain from the top, lift for just enough clearence to slide the pan of for the new gasket. Has anyone ever done it this way.

I have a bunch of pictures that I will post later. If anybody has similar stuff going on, let's compare notes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got the slinger that goes behind the actual seal from ford and got my fly wheel polished for $25. Just need to get that oil pan gasket replaced and I will be tickled.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone remeber the orientation of the seal, circular spring towards the engine or towards the transmission? I have not slept much in the past 36 hours.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few job pictures

The Leak!! The slinger looks melted (at about 9 o'clock)

The oil pan gasket had done all it could do. I cursed a few times getting this out with the engine in the car.

Ahh, the 'up the skirt photo' .....Love my girl

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nice work! How did you get your driveshaft off the tranny input shaft? Im doing a clutch job aswell and i have the driveshaft bolts off but i cant get it off the car, whats the trick to it?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nice work! How did you get your driveshaft off the tranny input shaft? Im doing a clutch job aswell and i have the driveshaft bolts off but i cant get it off the car, whats the trick to it?
just take the 4 bolts off the rearend and pull the drive shaft right out of the trans. It may take alittle wiggling but it "should" slide right out. I know i know (thats what she said) :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
just take the 4 bolts off the rearend and pull the drive shaft right out of the trans. It may take alittle wiggling but it "should" slide right out. I know i know (thats what she said) :)
Im pushing and pulling and wiggling it as much as i can but it wont budge more than a few milimeters... do you have to take off the tranny mount and lower the tranny first or something? Is it better to let the rear axle hang or have it as high up as possible with a jack? im running out of ideas and this is turning into a nightmare :(

I wanna take off that rubber seal where the driveshaft goes into the tranny but im afraid it will leak when i put it back on so i dunno what to do anymore >.<

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
your trying to replace your output shaft seal? hmm once your driveshaft is unbolted and hanging it should come out easy. idk lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
your trying to replace your output shaft seal? hmm once your driveshaft is unbolted and hanging it should come out easy. idk lol
Na im trying to do my clutch but i need to get the driveshaft off first or according to the guides online im supposed to but the U joints are stiff as hell and the driveshaft just doesnt budge at all i got all the bolts off i just cant get it to pull off the tranny, i even tried raising it with a jack but the U joints didnt move and it started to raise the tranny with it so i stopped before anything broke. Could it be because my U joints are seized up and wont move? In the meantime i got the started off the tranny and now before i can go any further i gotta get this driveshaft off but now im stuck on it and cant really do anything else to get to the clutch job.

Is it possible to drop the tranny down with the driveshaft still on the input shaft and then take off the driveshaft when the tranny is on the ground? Cuz the way its looking this might be the only way to get it off but i wanna make sure its possible and safe or if doing that will damage the input shaft.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
you could take the trans out with the driveshaft still in but i wouldnt recomend just letting it hang. Expecially if its the heavy factory one. Thats alot of weight being put on the tail shaft of the trans and you could risk throwing something out of whack. If it were me i would get a rubber mallet and some rags and start banging the **** out of the drivshaft to come out of the transmission. OR put it in neutral so that the drivetrain turns freely and keep worming it out. There is absolutly no flex in the u-joint? Thats crazy, it must never have come out before. Like I said above you may have to get forceful and muscle it out. If it breaks you may have to upgrade to a aluminum one. :2cents

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
you could take the trans out with the driveshaft still in but i wouldnt recomend just letting it hang. Expecially if its the heavy factory one. Thats alot of weight being put on the tail shaft of the trans and you could risk throwing something out of whack. If it were me i would get a rubber mallet and some rags and start banging the **** out of the drivshaft to come out of the transmission. OR put it in neutral so that the drivetrain turns freely and keep worming it out. There is absolutly no flex in the u-joint? Thats crazy, it must never have come out before. Like I said above you may have to get forceful and muscle it out. If it breaks you may have to upgrade to a aluminum one. :2cents
+1. The aluminum driveshaft is definately worth it. Muscle that thing out man. I can't believe your U joints are siezed that bad, I have never seen that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yep its the stock heavy driveshaft, but i found out what i was doing wrong and the back part of the driveshaft was so rusted stuck to the differential that i had to bang the crap outta it to get the back end to drop off the differential then i was able to slide it out of the tranny. Thx guys, and zdkel keep us updated with the pics hows the job going for ya? :D

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yep its the stock heavy driveshaft, but i found out what i was doing wrong and the back part of the driveshaft was so rusted stuck to the differential that i had to bang the crap outta it to get the back end to drop off the differential then i was able to slide it out of the tranny. Thx guys, and zdkel keep us updated with the pics hows the job going for ya? :D
dang, dude i didnt realize the driveshaft never came of the diff. Glad you got it.

I just got home to see the pictures zdkel, looks like a frustrating job to do on the ground.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got every thing back together/not without problems tho

This was a ton of work and I did it without any assistance. But, that may be the problem since I have an annoying rumble in my clutch or fly wheel from ~1000 - 2000 rpm . I'm not sure WTF.

I am out of time to remove the transmission again, wwell and out of energy/patience/ also.

I either have a bent input shaft (transmission) or
My freshly turned fly wheel is out of balance or I missed a match mark when reinstalling or
I f'd up my pilot bearing installing the transmission.

I spent 3 hours trouble shooting this afternoon but did not find the culprit. When the car is warm it does not seem as bad. I guess I will see if it does not blow up in the next few days and devise a plan.

If I wind up pulling that trans again, no more stubborn me - I am getting a transmission jack.

·
Registered
470 Posts
damn sorry to hear things didnt work out for ya... i might be in the same boat as you here pretty soon cuz the way its looking man something is bound to go wrong.. But hey how the hell did u get the tranny off by yourself? Im at this part and i cant get the thing to move more than a cm or 2 cm away from the engine block im using 2 jacks and trying to kinda lift the end of the trans with my knee and push and wiggle the bellhousing with my hands but it only shakes the crap outta the engine and doesnt budge for crap... I got the shifter part about 2 inches below the metal where it would be up in the hole. And yeah this fcking sucks without a tranny jack.... but how the hell did you drop yours out >.< also im by myself in this one... have been the whole time but you work way faster than me, guess i been scrubbing the rust off for 2 long lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure the two top bolts are out of the bell housing, they are a bit hard to see. I think there are eight total 3 each side (6 +) two top (2 = 8).

When I got to that point I was able to pry the BH back with a flat blade screw driver.

Wrap that T45 to the jack some how because that thing has no flat surfaces on it. It could easily roll off the cup on the jack - you don't want that to happen. I rigged up some bungee cords and almost had mine come off the jack as I was going back and down.

·
Registered
470 Posts
got the slinger that goes behind the actual seal from ford and got my fly wheel polished for $25. Just need to get that oil pan gasket replaced and I will be tickled.
Is the slinger a seperate part from the rear main seal? Im thinking about replacing mine since il have everything off and my stang has 100k miles anyways so its probably time for a new one.

does anyone remeber the orientation of the seal, circular spring towards the engine or towards the transmission? I have not slept much in the past 36 hours.
Is replacing the mail seal hard? Also which way did you put it in and whats this sling? does it go behind the seal after u put in the seal? also do i need to drain the engine oil before i replace the seal? Also i got all the BH bolts off and i got the starter off and the 2 jacks have a peice of wood on the cups but il still wrap it to be sure thx for the advice but i still cant wiggle the tranny off the engine dowels nowhere near getting it off the input shaft >.<

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the forward/bottom cover plate off the bell housing? You should be able to look past the oil pan and see the fly wheel in the bell housing. The other thing that would give resistance would be if the transmission shaft was some how stuck on the pilot bearing.

...my 2 cents

·
Registered
470 Posts
ya i was trying to do it with that plate on but i took that off and now i got the tranny maybe 2 inches from the engine i can see the flywheel and all the clutch parts now and it looks like tranny shaft is off or atleast the big spline part but the little short end of it is still inside the engine so i just got some more tugging and wiggling to do and hopefully il have it off by tonight. I found a tranny jack for 50$ on craigslist but its a scizzor style with no name brand no weight specs and a rachet strap for the support and the way u lower and raise it is with a 1/4" drive. You think its worth it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts