Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is not leaking but i am replacing my clutch next week on my 99 gt. is it to worth replacing the rear main seal while i have the tranny off even if it isnt leaking. how can i replace it ?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
yes why not your in there already who know maybe 5k miles after your clutch swap it'll start leaking

·
Too broke
787 Posts
if its not broke don't fix it. the 4.6 was never known for rear main leaks, like the 5.0's are. only use Ford OEM if you have to though. i did a complete build and used a felpro rear main and it leaked, it deformed. also you can remove the rear plate off the motor to install it off the car if you like, but if its not leaking, don't bother

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The rear main seal typically isn't the problem. The seal retainer plate doesn't use a gasket and is typically what leaks. Remove the retainer plate, clean both surfaces and reseal using permatex ultra gray...... and replace the rear main seal while you're in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if its not broke don't fix it. the 4.6 was never known for rear main leaks, like the 5.0's are. only use Ford OEM if you have to though. i did a complete build and used a felpro rear main and it leaked, it deformed. also you can remove the rear plate off the motor to install it off the car if you like, but if its not leaking, don't bother

alright thanks i didnt want to try to fix a problem i didnt have.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Unless you view pulling the transmission and flywheel as a routine activity, I would not get that deep in and not replace the seal.

Use Felpro's Teflon seal, not the cheaper one, and don't let the installer throw out the plastic lip protector before installing the seal (I once watched a dealership mechanic do this while I was waiting for parts)...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes why not your in there already who know maybe 5k miles after your clutch swap it'll start leaking

The rear main seal typically isn't the problem. The seal retainer plate doesn't use a gasket and is typically what leaks. Remove the retainer plate, clean both surfaces and reseal using permatex ultra gray...... and replace the rear main seal while you're in there.
Unless you view pulling the transmission and flywheel as a routine activity, I would not get that deep in and not replace the seal.

Use Felpro's Teflon seal, not the cheaper one, and don't let the installer throw out the plastic lip protector before installing the seal (I once watched a dealership mechanic do this while I was waiting for parts)...
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I'd say no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts