Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is going to be a long story. I have a 14 mustang gt 3.73 rear track pack. Has had a whine since I got it over a year ago. Brought it into the ford dealer I got it from, and had it diagnosed, was told it was the pinion bearing, replaced it and it didn’t fix it. Took it back in, had it diagnosed, had the ring and pinion replaced. Rear felt very tight after that in a good way but it still whines. Here I am 6 months later and 3 months left on my powertrain. I bring it back in and the service guy I talked to before said it might not be warrantable because the previous owner came in and said the rear was built prior, also has aftermarket diff mount and lower control arms in the rear and a differential cover . Buttt....I had 2 different warranty services done to it with no questions asked before . And I did no modifications to it since.

They can’t void my warranty because of a diff cover and diff mount and lower control arms?

With that said. This is my 3rd time back for the same issue. If they try messing with me I’ll gladly go to lemon law over this .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so this is going to be a long story. I have a 14 mustang gt 3.73 rear track pack. Has had a whine since I got it over a year ago. Brought it into the ford dealer I got it from, and had it diagnosed, was told it was the pinion bearing, replaced it and it didn’t fix it. Took it back in, had it diagnosed, had the ring and pinion replaced. Rear felt very tight after that in a good way but it still whines. Here I am 6 months later and 3 months left on my powertrain. I bring it back in and the service guy I talked to before said it might not be warrantable because the previous owner came in and said the rear was built prior, also has aftermarket diff mount and lower control arms in the rear and a differential cover . Buttt....I had 2 different warranty services done to it with no questions asked before . And I did no modifications to it since.

They can’t void my warranty because of a diff cover and diff mount and lower control arms?

With that said. This is my 3rd time back for the same issue. If they try messing with me I’ll gladly go to lemon law over this .

Bit late but, gear whine is all in the setup, if their guy can't set them up so they don't whine, look for someone who can.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

They can void the warranty for anything they want. If they see even one aftermarket part, there could be more for all they know. They dont know if you beat on it, or whatever. Any issues may or not be related to those aftermarket parts, so any work done may or not be covered, even if the vehicle has been paid for. Once the warranty is up, they dont care what you do with it. Some dont care. Ive known a few that had thier warranty voided because they swapped gears. And that was it. Its up to the dealer, really. Some are really strict.

So did you ever figure out the whine was from?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just watched a video of a guy with a Hellcat and his axle broke and they told him because he put aftermarket wheels on his car it voided the warranty and he had to pay $1000 to have a new axle put in his Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
They can void the warranty for anything they want. If they see even one aftermarket part, there could be more for all they know. They dont know if you beat on it, or whatever. Any issues may or not be related to those aftermarket parts, so any work done may or not be covered, even if the vehicle has been paid for. Once the warranty is up, they dont care what you do with it. Some dont care. Ive known a few that had thier warranty voided because they swapped gears. And that was it. Its up to the dealer, really. Some are really strict.

So did you ever figure out the whine was from?
i'm not a lawyer, but i've always heard that the magnuson-moss warranty act requires a manufacturer to prove that an aftermarket part specifically caused a failure to void the warranty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts