Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the trick is to get the real main seal retainer off. Its aluminum and connects to the back of the engine block with 6 bolts. Im trying to replace my rear main seal and slinger but i cant get this thing off its like its super glued to the engine block i tried prying with screwdrivers but it felt like i was about to bend the crap out of the aluminum retainer so i stopped. Plus when i pry it the top 2 dowels that are there get wedged into the holes and start to shred peices of aluminum off. Iv ran outta ideas >.<

I got a teflon rear seal and oem slinger + permatex gasket sealer to put everything back on i just cant get this retainer off for the life of me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Two bolts into the bottom, through the rear of the oil pan. Did you get those?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ya... now i did i wish i would have known to take those 2 stupid azz fukin bolts out first... but turns out i bent the crap out of my oil pan trying to pry it off earlier before i noticed the 2 bolts down there... so now everything is off and the seals are out and my retainer is all nice and clean now so now i guess the tricky part. so i guess ima use the gasket sealer on it and hopefully prevent the oil pan from leaking... this just turned into a nightmare >.<

Ok i dunno if my order is right but im guessing you first squeeze the rear seal into the retainer then when thats in there get the retainer back over the crank then after that push the sling in behind the seal untill its all pushed in or flush with the crank i forgot how far the sling sat inside the retainer but i think it was a few millimeters inside of it and not flush so i think il push the rear seal to the back of the retainer then push the retainer on then the sling. The way the rubber part of the seal sits it looks like its easier to slide off then to put on because of the direction its facing. Pushing it on is going against the way it sits. But oh well first time for me doing all this so ya live and ya learn i know later down the road when i have to do it again tho its gonna be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bent oil pan lip... oh damn! Is it bad? The pan lip may pull back right when everything is bolted up, but is the gasket f'd up too? The gasket has a sealing ring mounted on hard plastic see if it is cracked anywhere.

You are earning your stripes, definitely....Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure if the gasket cracked but the pan lip kinda bent back into shape when i bolted it back together, i went crazy with the permatex gasket sealer and put it on and under the gasket before i bolted it up then after everything was bolted i put a layer around everywhere it seals at on the back. BUT the effed up part is that i snapped the bottom right bolt on the retainer... Im 2 lazy to take everything back apart and clean it all up and try to get the snapped bolt out of the engine block so i just put more gasket sealer inside the hole where it snapped hopefully everything will hold... I still gotta order a clutch and put a clutch on so i can finally get rolling again but when everything is back on and i have an oil leak then im gonna rip it all apart again get a new oil pan and gasket and then try to get that small ass stripped bolt out and get some new ones. hopefully everything will hold and il be good for atleast 50k miles or a couple years but if not i guess its back to wrenchin.

So far i got these installed- Steeda clutch cable+quadrant, Teflon rear seal+slinger, New clutch fork+pivot ball. Throwout bearing, Painted the x pipe, clutch fork, and a new metal plate that goes between engine and tranny with 2000 degree orange paint.

Waiting to be installed- RAM aluminum flywheel+dowel pins, Royal Purple tranny fluid, Pilot bearing, Magnaflow offroad x pipe+mil eliminators, Metal Plate inbetween engine and tranny.

Items still out of stock or need to be ordered - New Clutch kit, MGW shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, Firewall clutch cable adjuster.

Guess tomorrow ima start on the pilot bearing and aluminum flywheel if i dont get delayed by bad weather again... Its been raining and cold as hell lately so i havent been getting much done...Then on monday it will be May so ima check A.M for the monthly sale items and if they still dont have my RAM HDX back in stock im gonna order a king cobra clutch and order the rest of the items so i can finish this huge project already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts