Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if this is the right place but I just bought a 1999 Mustang V6 and upon further inspection found this:

Pics in next post since it wont let me post them right now

Whats the best way to fix? And how did this happen?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sketchy....... un bolt the shock and jack up rear and re do it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Yes easy fix but like the OP says..how the hell would they have done that!? Lol

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Pothole?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Thanks.

It has new(er) shocks on it, perhaps they let it loose when installing them? Maybe they "took it off some sweet jumps"?? Lol. There is a ton of hack stuff going on on this car. For example, the top half of the front drivers side sway bar end link was gone, and had rubbed inside the sway bar for what appears to be a very long time. Dude thought it needed ball joints but they look and feel fine. I think the groaning/squeaking is just the endlink and that rear spring rubbing the axle.

Don't get me started on the body kit :screwy: Fortunately my brother-in-law is an auto body guy and can hook me up with friend prices :naughty:

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
somebody correct me if i am wrong but I believe even the rear springs need to be clocked. don't remember but i think the bottom tail should be facing the front?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There is pics of the poor thing and it's even poorer body kit. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of some of the other hack stuff.

On the upside, I bought I non running 92 Toyota Camry (I know those cars like the back of my hand) for $500. I put $227 into it, for a total of $772. I sold it for $1550, I had that money for 6-7 hours and I bought this mustang for $1450.

So essentially I have a $772 1999 Mustang. Even in it's poor state I don't feel too bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice find. I mean, it obviously needs work but for $1500 it's not too bad. Did the front lip of that body kit break off or was it designed like that? :eek:Good luck working on it!

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
Ouch, but you obviously like a challenge (much like myself) :drink

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's broke. The PO said he hit a dog with it.

I got the rear spring in proper now. My camera was dead so I didn't get to take pics of the twisted brake hose. Looked like they somehow hooked up the banjo end first then threaded it onto the hardline, thus making it curly and almost kinked like a air hose does.

Question - I think I can repair that body kit. I'm pretty decent with fiberglass but that is a big area. I already have the materials. My BIL will charge me around $100 to paint it. Total cost to repair would be $100 plus my time and materials.

Likewise he can get me a stock front and rear bumper for $75 (junkyard maybe? I dunno how he get's it so cheap) So total cost would be $175, but I wouldn't have to fool with anything.

What to do? The more I look at it the more the hack job, half arsed paint job, broken, chipped ect body kit irks me. Also, I live on a gravel road. Having a body kit might not be such a great idea.

Waiting on parts now though. Tuneup parts, swaybar endlinks ect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that the body kit is gay. However I am not sure I am going to keep this car. You see I bought and flipped the 92 Camry for profit. I went to an auto auction with the wife, planning to buy another to fix and flip for profit. I wanted some super cheap Asian car, but the wife has always wanted an early mustang or a late one. Since bidding paused at $1300 I gave her the go-ahead to bid. My plan is to eventually open a used car dealership.

We figured, we'd flip it for profit, she could drive it while I fixed it, but MAYBE we'd sell our 1998 Camry and keep this mustang. We are still on the fence about it. The Camry pulls in 29-32mpg and we have had it since new, and 240,000 trouble free miles. But then again it has 240,000 miles on the original engine and trans. Then again the mustang has 194,000 teenage boy driven miles. So yeah, still on the fence.

If I flip it, I want to put as little money into it as possible. I don't want to sell people a bum ride, so I obviously fix what's broke, but fixing every little thing would render me without a profit. I'm unemployed so my time is pretty much free. Hence why I wonder - fix body kit or put stock bumpers on it. If I decide to keep it, stock bumpers for sure. If I flip it, I dunno... what would sell better? Body kit? Or stock? In the end, the wife is probably going to have the final say LOL It is kinda nice driving something that can get out of it's own way, though. I could only imagine what the various V8 cars are like. All I've ever owned is 4cyl's.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can smell the rice patties through the internet haha

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
If you are thinking about selling that car, get the stock bumper you mentioned ASAP. You'll get a better price out of it for sure...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts