Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy on another forum wrote this (is it true?)

"The tail of the spring. If you had removed the springs from the rear and reached up inside the upper spring perch, you'd have felt there was a rubber seat that is grooved to fit the spring. It's got a slight slope with a wall at one end where the spring tail fits into.

I've heard to leave the tail about 1/2" from that wall to prevent squeaking."

Reason I'm asking is my rear didn't drop as much as I would have liked after the install. I didn't notice any "stop" and the FSM doesn't show anyrhing.

Thx

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I know theres a rubber seat there but thats about it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't believe that's true whatsoever. You want the tail of the spring flush with the rubber boot. The whole point of the boot is to prevent squeeking and ensure proper fitment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to agree, I'm almost positive there was no end point, just a groove for the spring to sit.

I know the fronts had a stop where the spring needed to be turned to seat both top and bottom.

Just hoping someone who's done the install will verify my memory. I really don't want to tear it apart again.

"Paranoia will destroy you!"

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've done a few suspension rebuilds, not on an s197 but the fact remains I always had the spring flush with the boots and I've never had noise issues with any of my cars.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You're asking why your rear didn't drop as much ass you wanted to, why not just take the rear apart and check? It only takes half an hour to do and it sounds like it'd give you peace of mind.

Hell, I may have been thinking of the front seats, did both ends two weeks ago and a helluva lots happened since then (infected jaw, wife about to go into labor, et cetera), but there's still a seat inside the rear that you may not have gotten them in correctly. I don't know why your springs didn't drop, was just giving possible answers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts