Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing my rear suspension and Im wondering if there are any torque requirements I should be aware of in the, pan hard, sway bar, and control arms because my haynes manual doesnt really say anything about any thing.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I just used a hand held wrench/ratchet on my control arms and panhard. Tightened them as hard as I could get it, then double checked a after a few days then a few weeks later, and it's still tightened.

Maybe you can get a more precise answer from someone else though. I don't know how you would measure ft lbs of torque in this case.

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
I just used a hand held wrench/ratchet on my control arms and panhard. Tightened them as hard as I could get it, then double checked a after a few days then a few weeks later, and it's still tightened.

Maybe you can get a more precise answer from someone else though. I don't know how you would measure ft lbs of torque in this case.
I, nor my dad, own a torque wrench. We used my Neighbor's for my LCAs. It is crappy, so we couldn't get it to rachet within the space given under the car. My dad tightened the bolts as tight as he could, and they are still tight, 4 days later. Probably don't need to torque unless its in the engine.

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
I, nor my dad, own a torque wrench. We used my Neighbor's for my LCAs. It is crappy, so we couldn't get it to rachet within the space given under the car. My dad tightened the bolts as tight as he could, and they are still tight, 4 days later. Probably don't need to torque unless its in the engine.
Thats a misguided statement. Suspension torque specs are important. Do you know what happens if an lca falls off on the highway? Besides, if you're going to do the work, do it right.

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
Ok, except the torque wrench wouldn't ratchet. Impossible to torque down. What would happen if a lca fell off?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Remember when u had to move your axle with a wrench to get the bolt to line up? Thats because the lca holds the axle in place. If one comes off, that side will shift backwards and your ass end could "steer" around and you will spin, or it will just drive you sideways into the median or curb or whatnot.

And to get enough clearance, drive the front end onto a 2 in thick board, then jack the back and place the axle on jackstands and lower back down. Have the jack stands high enough to give u room. This is enough space to use a torque wrench.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
panhard 129 ft lbs

lcas 129 ft lbs

sway bar which i belive the manul calls a lateral stiffner are right side 85 ft lbs left side 46 ft lbs

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
Remember when u had to move your axle with a wrench to get the bolt to line up? Thats because the lca holds the axle in place. If one comes off, that side will shift backwards and your ass end could "steer" around and you will spin, or it will just drive you sideways into the median or curb or whatnot.

And to get enough clearance, drive the front end onto a 2 in thick board, then jack the back and place the axle on jackstands and lower back down. Have the jack stands high enough to give u room. This is enough space to use a torque wrench.
God dang, never thought of that... Reps for you!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
panhard 129 ft lbs

lcas 129 ft lbs

sway bar which i belive the manul calls a lateral stiffner are right side 85 ft lbs left side 46 ft lbs
The sway bar is NOT a lateral stiffner, infact, the sway bar shouldn't ever have much lateral (side to side) load on it. The bar you are talking about with the 85/46 is the Panhard bar Support Brace.

The Swaybar is a type of torsion spring that helps limit body roll during cornering. Because it is a torsion spring it only acts when there is a difference in wheel height side to side relative to the body. The benefit is that it has NO influence during 2 wheel bump where the two wheels tied together are moving up and down at the same rate at the same time.

PS: The entire Ford Service Manual can be found here:
Ford Service Manuals - 2005

The torque settings are almost always in the "Specifications" files under the headings. The Suspension parts can be found under "Workshop Manuals" -> "Chassis" -> "Front/Rear Suspension" or "Suspension General Information" (This has a few of the torque values, but more importantly the alignment values).

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
the pan hard rod fasteners call for 129 ft lbs

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
the pan hard rod fasteners call for 129 ft lbs
If you are using/reusing factory hardware, YES. Some suspension companies send theirs out with non-factory hardware in which case follow what the company you got your order from says for torque values. OEM bolts should always be torqued to the correct values when possible. Sometimes the good ole fashion German "Goodentight" works really well when a torque wrench is too difficult to use but I wouldn't use it on critical suspension components.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I saved this...can't recall where I got it...but it is a word doc on my laptop. Thanks to whoever compiled it.

Mustang Torques:

Torque specs for front Suspension
(Nm = Newton Meters ft/lbs = Foot Pounds in/lbs. = Inch pounds)
Brake Caliper Bracket Bolts: 133 Nm - 98 ft/lbs.
Dust Shield Bolts: 20 Nm - 15 ft/lbs.
Wheel Spindle Pinch Nut: 103 Nm - 76 ft/lbs.
Lower Control Arm Bolt (front): 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Lower Control Arm Bolt (Rear): 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Heat Shield Bolts: 10 Nm - 89 in/lbs.
Brake Line Bracket Bolt: 20 Nm - 15 ft/lbs.
Strut Upper Mount: 62 Nm - 46 ft/lbs.
Strut to Spindle Bolts: 200 Nm - 148 ft/lbs.
Strut to Body Nuts: 35 Nm - 26 ft/lbs.
Wheel Hub Retainer Nut: 300 Nm - 221 ft/lbs.
Stabilizer Bar Bracket Nuts: 70 Nm - 52 ft/lbs.
Anti-lock Brake Sensor Bolt: 6 Nm - 53 in/lbs.
Outer Tie-Rod Ends: 80 Nm - 59 ft/lbs.
Steering Gear Mounting Bolts: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs.

Torque Specs for Rear Suspension
(Nm = Newton meters ft/lbs. = Foot Pounds in/lbs. = Inch Pounds)
Rear Shock Absorber Upper Nut: 40 Nm - 10 ft/lbs.
Rear Shock Absorber Lower Bolt: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs.
Lower Arm to Body Bolt: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Lower Arm to Axle Bolt: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Panhard Rod to Body Mount Bolt: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Pahhard Rod to Axle Bolt: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Lateral Stiffener Bar to Body Nut: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs.
Lateral Stiffener Bar to Body Bolts: 62 Nm - 46 ft/lbs.
Stabilzer Bar Bracket Nuts: 70 Nm - 52 ft/lbs.
Stabilizer Bar Link bolts: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs.
Parking Brake Cable Bracket to Lower Arm: 27 Nm - 20 ft/lbs.
Upper Control Arm Front Bolt: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Upper Control Arm Rear Bolts: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs.
Upper Control arm Bushing Nut: 175 Nm - 129 ft/lbs.
Fuel Tank Strap Bolt: 51 Nm -38 ft/lbs.
Brake House Bracket Bolt: 20 Nm - 15 ft/lbs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts