Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the car out today, its a 90GT Manual. i noticed it making some clanking sound. so after some more inspection and having a few buddies look at it im pretty confident the rear is shot. (there seems to be alot of play in the drive shaft esp towards the rear end)

so i have decided to go ahead and rebuild the rear.

My question: What would be the best gear? Whats in it doesnt seem bad, but i havent been in a fox with different gears.(i think mine are stock)

And where would be a good place to get all rebuild parts for a good price, but quality of course. i think i need a carrier and....anything else you guys would recomend?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
146 Posts
that depends on what you want to do 411 if your gonna be n/a and just car about the 1/4 mile 373 are good to not bad on the highway and still good performance then u can get 355 better on the highway with still better then stock take off

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i wouldnt be so quick to tear into that rear, it might not be the problem

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
there is suppose to be some slack in the drivetrain are you sure you are not just hearing that and feeling that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i hear it more then i feel it, but i can feel like a clunk towards the back of the driveshaft/rear end.
the drive shaft is good-aluminum aftermarket one
i know for sure there is a good inch of rotational movement, and i can slightly hear the same sounds when im under the car rotating the drive shaft around

not sure, all help is appreciated-thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the ujoint seems to be new, i just got the car a few weeks ago so im not positive on my answers

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i think its just drivetrain slack. when you get on and off the gas sometimes you will hear a clunking which is just normal slack in the drivetrain

·
Registered
299 Posts
Make sure your drive shaft bolts are tight. I had the same problem and found them loose. lessoned learned I always use lock tite now.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Make sure your drive shaft bolts are tight. I had the same problem and found them loose. lessoned learned I always use lock tite now.
i totally forgot but i had the same problem, i used to hear a clunking sound and there was a small vibration turned out to be loose bolts, your answer reminded me of that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts