Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of 4.10 gears in my '02 GT conv. I can backup & turn in other direction ok, can drive at around town & turn left with out problems, but there is a gear grinding noise when I turn right.

I cleaned & inspected the plates in the pumpkin/ gears, etc... and thought everything was in good condition. Axles looked fine, I didn't see any abnormal wear on any part.

I will admit to not having had a backlash gauge, but put the pinion shim was re-installed when the new bearing was pressed on, etc...

Thanks,
Steve :eek:

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
It sounds like it is improperly shimmed to me, possibly even loose.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
.008-.015
.008-.012 preferred

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
gotcha ya. Thanks for the the post man.

I knew it was around there.. I haven't owned a stang in a while.. lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would say too loose. open it back up and see if you can move the pumpkin back, and forth while it is still bolted in. You have to give it hell, but I am willing to bet that you can move it. You just probably have to add more shims, which can be a bitch. The best way I found to do this is unbolt the diff, and pull it out half way so the rest of the shims don't come out, and try sliding another one in. This worked best for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.