Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a search with no luck. I'm new to the Mustang world and I am doing a V8 swap in my V6 Mustang (can't tell what V8:p) and need to know what vehicles will work as donors. I know the GT and have heard the Explorer but don't know the specifics of the Explorer. Any help? How about the Ranger and F150? I will be putting out 450whp to begin with. This will NOT be a DD but will need to be reliable!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
the only housing that will swap will be from another mustang. f150s and rangers will not bolt in. they have leaf spring suspenisons and have spring perches unlike the control arm mounts.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only housing that will swap will be from another mustang. f150s and rangers will not bolt in. they have leaf spring suspenisons and have spring perches unlike the control arm mounts.
How about the Explorer?, are they coil spring suspensions?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Check your local CL and junk yards. You can find them for cheap

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your local CL and junk yards. You can find them for cheap
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to start keeping my eye on CL. Will an 8.8" from a '79-93 work? I've heard they have a different track width than the 99-04's, but could this be advantageous to running much wider tires?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I believe the housing are the same, its just the axles are different lengths due to drum/disc brake differences. I could be wrong tho, someone else can chime in on that

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the housing are the same, its just the axles are different lengths due to drum/disc brake differences. I could be wrong tho, someone else can chime in on that
Does anybody know the measurements of the 99-04 rears, hub to hub? In other words from the face of the axle of one side to the opposite side? Thanks,Mark.

·
November 08 ROTM
1,356 Posts
you could build your current 7.5 but i highly recommend swapping to an 8.8. I broke my 7.5 with a ranger diff and gears on a 50 shot with a stock motor. If you have an 01 like in your user name, look for a rear out of your similar body style GT. just make sure the upper control arms have the same mount location on the rear end. the 94-98 works, but i believe its 1-1 1/2'' narrower on each side. we took a rear from an 02' GT and it bolted up in my 00' V6 with no modifications. obviously you wont be using quad shocks, dont even worry about those.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you could build your current 7.5 but i highly recommend swapping to an 8.8. I broke my 7.5 with a ranger diff and gears on a 50 shot with a stock motor. If you have an 01 like in your user name, look for a rear out of your similar body style GT. just make sure the upper control arms have the same mount location on the rear end. the 94-98 works, but i believe its 1-1 1/2'' narrower on each side. we took a rear from an 02' GT and it bolted up in my 00' V6 with no modifications. obviously you wont be using quad shocks, dont even worry about those.
Ya I was considering building the 7.5 up,but budget is real tite these days and I figure investing in an 8.8" would make more sense. Again I'm thinking about going with the 94-98 so I can run some fatties out back. Traction is gonna be a rare commodity. Does anyone see any problems I might be overlooking by going w/the narrower rear?

Hey Buddyantunez, how did you make out with that busted swaybar?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
if you are not gonna be using it as a dd you can probably build an 8.8 for less than a grand and it be bullet proof... 31-33 spline axles with a spool is the way to go. a fox body 8.8 will also work in case you plan on making some big numbers one day, you can then fit a wider wheel under your car without problems....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.