Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to stumble across a complete T56 swap for about $1700 + shipping. Where? I cannot say. :shiftyeyes

This comes with the T56, crossmember, driveshaft, shifter, bolts, flywheel, and clutch. Clutch is stage 3, shifter is short throw. Everything is out of an 04 Cobra I believe.

This price seems great to me, and if people seem to agree its a good deal I'm going to pull the trigger on this puppy and knock a big chunk off the Secondhand Snake parts list.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
What kind of power are you making to necessitate a st.3? Also, make sure it's not a Spec clutch. Otherwise, great price!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power is probably going to be in the 550ish range to begin with, then shooting for 660+ down the road, so I can't complain. I've seen guys run stage 3's for a lot less.

And what's wrong with Spec's? I'm more of a Centerforce guy myself, but I'm curious to know, I had seen fairly good reviews of them.

But overall good to hear. I had seen a very nice built T56 for around that price, but no bellhousing, clutch, etc... This package deal is much more convenient, I'll have to pounce on it!

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
My Spec Stage 2 felt really good, but it put a lot of stress on the rest of the drivetrain and is likely the root of a lot of annoying grievances I had about the car. My input shaft spun itself out, and while talking to Don at D&D (getting a T56 Magnum, yay!) we got on the topic of what clutch to get. I told him I liked what my Spec clutch felt like, and he started going on and on about the problems he's had with them. "They're a transmission shop's best friend." Probably exacerbated the input shaft issue. Anyway, not one to simply defer to one man's (decidedly expert) opinion, I did some googling and discovered that a lot of the noises, the TOB failures, and the mysterious clutch chatter that comes and goes is not uncommon with these clutches. My next clutch will be the modified King Cobra one D&D sell or a Zoom.

I might be overly dramatic about it, but I'm not chancing it again. If it was the clutch, I'm ridding myself of it and finding out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That is a smoking deal on the T-56 set up. If you do by chance pass on it, please let me know cause I am in need o the complete swap as well. Tranny is my last piece of the puzzle so I can really throw some nitrous at it.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Thats definatly a deal Id jump on if its all legit

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's a reasonable price for a used t-56 depending on condition of trans and wear components.

I love my t-56 mag but I paid a couple coins for it. Don and Joe at D&D have always been nice and helpful.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well naturally for such a steal that transmission went fast. Easily went within a day of being posted. :mad:

My next options:
Complete swap for $1900 plus tax+shipping. Might have to bite the bullet on this one.

Built trans (850 ft-lb capable), no driveshaft, bellhousing, harness, etc... for $1800. Not preferrable.

Any thoughts on the $1900 swap? What'd other people pay for theirs? CoughJazzercough.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
A year ago there were swaps with everything but the clutch going for about $1500. I'd say if it included everything, jump on anything in the $1500-$2k range used. I have no idea what they cost new. Call Pro Motion and talk to them if you're looking at buying a new T56. They are the ones that set Jazzer up with his

FWIW I have a spec 2+ clutch and really like it. Not hard to push in and doesn't slip. It's a bit of an on/off clutch but every higher hp clutch is going to be like that. Also I have a little bit of chatter if I leave it idling and let off the clutch. With any amount of throttle the chatter is gone though.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A year ago there were swaps with everything but the clutch going for about $1500. I'd say if it included everything, jump on anything in the $1500-$2k range used. I have no idea what they cost new. Call Pro Motion and talk to them if you're looking at buying a new T56. They are the ones that set Jazzer up with his

FWIW I have a spec 2+ clutch and really like it. Not hard to push in and doesn't slip. It's a bit of an on/off clutch but every higher hp clutch is going to be like that. Also I have a little bit of chatter if I leave it idling and let off the clutch. With any amount of throttle the chatter is gone though.
Yeah from what I saw guys were getting swap kits as low as $1200 a couple years ago. With summer coming I don't see prices going down anytime soon. That $1900 is from MPS, who isn't exactly the cheapest place, but I might have to just deal with it. Oh well.

My other option depends on how much a rebuild would cost me. I found one that's pretty much been destroyed for $550. I'll have to call around to see what it'd take.

New is around $3000 though.

And I already PM'd Jazzer about where he got his.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the cobra t56 is a great trans on its own as long as you swap out the 10 spine input shaft to a 26 spline. it will hold everything and more you can throw at it. and there is nothing wrong with spec aslong as the drive train can hold it. alot of people over do it when it comes to a clutch. with any 10 spline input shaft i would keep the clutch down to a 03 cobra clutch. it is alot cheaper to replace a smoked out clutch than a broken trans.

as it goes now im running a 26 spline input shaft with a spec 3+ clutch and a spec billet steel flywheel and my car made it back from the track with 5500 rpm dumps (side stepping the clutch) on slicks with 630 rwhp and 571 tq. its a good setup for high hp.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was the plan. I'm leaning toward the 26 spline, especially seeing its much easier to install than on the 3650. If I'm not mistaken you only have to take off the front plate on the T56 to swap input shafts.

The funny thing is how often people actually intentionally leave a weakness in their Cobra drivetrain as a fuseable link to save the engine, as they'd much rather have a snapped input shaft or blown clutch rather than a blown motor.

On the opposite side you're right how many overbuild their projects, the magnum and viper spec T56's are quite prevalent. Seeing that a 26 spline can hold up to launches on slicks and 630hp should be more than enough for me. Stage 1 of my build (Eaton) is hoping to net around 550hp, and stage 2 (KB/Whipple) is unlikely to exceed 700hp, neither of which will see too much track time, so that should be plenty for me.

...of course if I ever get the TT bug then all bets are off...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know the budget is what the budget is.....But I have seen too many of my friends buy used trannys from people they don't know and have a turd show up. I can think of 4 guys that went that route and ended up pulling out and rebuilding the tranny within 6 mo's. Costing them more than a going with new tranny in the first place.

and I have to be honest..... I am one of those people. I picked up my swap about 1 1/2 years back from a cobra owner going to an auto. $1500 Seemed legit from as much as I could tell without knowing the guy and having him in driving distance. He seemed kind, answered all of my questions and I was fairly certain I was getting decent parts. I was wrong and it left me stranded first 200 miles.

What I then did is what I will advise you to do. I called around the country to mustang shops seeing if they had anything. I ended up finding a viper spec with 4 dyno pulls only on a project shop car. Got it for $1900, with a warranty. I WOULD NEVER ADVISE ANYONE TO BUY A USED TRANNY FOR ANY PRICE, unless you factor in a rebuild right away, and or the personl selling is a personal friend of yours.

PS...I have a spec 3+, in more cars than just my stang actually. I've never had a problem and would recommend it to anyone. :)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Transmissions are a gamble just as much as engines. I'm trying to go used not so much for budget, but to keep the theme of this project. Basically I want bragging rights at this point of having one of the first all used Cobra clones, a (sonic?) blue collar Cobra if you will. Believe me, I could easily go out and buy all the remaining parts I need brand new today if I wanted. (Which becomes more and more tempting each day might i add.)

The worst part is I went to a junkyard today and they said someone tried to sell them a Cobra T-56 for $300 the other day! Damn my luck. Even if I had to rebuild it $300 would be awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts