Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been rebuilding my motor for the last week or so Because i had some coolant get into the motor and eat the bearings. I am starting to put everything back together after cleaning the piss out of it, and just wanting to get some advice on timing it has Crower stage two blower cams Trickflow springs non adjustable gears, any advice is is greatly appreciated.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Do you have a timing wheel and all the appropriate components to accompany it? Is that what you're asking about?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Are you familiar with degreeing cams? Do you plan on degreeing it?

Either way, whatever you do...

INSTALL BOTH TIMING CHAINS AT THE SAME TIME. DO NOT ROTATE ANYTHING UNTIL BOTH CHAINS ARE IN PLACE.

That will save you the potentical headache of having one bank 180deg out of phase with the other. You wouldn't be the first to have that problem.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
INSTALL BOTH TIMING CHAINS AT THE SAME TIME. DO NOT ROTATE ANYTHING UNTIL BOTH CHAINS ARE IN PLACE
It can be done that way if you want to make it harder.

Do not install the followers until both cams are degreed.

1. Install the driver side cam/gears/chain and degree.
2. Rotate the crank until the crank dot is at the 6 o'clock position and the cam gear dot is up
3. Install the passenger side chain/gears and degree
4. install the followers

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Here's two diagrams to help you since you won't be degreeing. This is how the timing marks should appear to you looking at the front of the motor. If you don't have two dark colored links, simply hold one link between two fingers and let the rest hang.... the link you're holding needs to be marked, now put a mark on the very bottom link. These two links should be paralell with the ground while the remaining links are perpindicular. Nothing to it.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome Im almost certain i will have no problem now i greatly appreciate all the help

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You won't have a problem. It's so easy you'll feel stupid. The first time I ever timed one I knew it just couldn't be that damned easy. Nothing to it. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well due to every possible thing that could go wrong has already but still trying to get this **** put back together but any how ive broken two arp head studs and want to see if any one has ever had this problem before and on a side note i am now the self proclaimed king of removing studs

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Are you not using a torque wrench? There should not be any issues with breaking ARP studs. If you are using a torque wrench you should immediately have it re-calibrated because it's calibration is way off. I've torqued ARPs way beyond factory specs and never had any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I broke one last year.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
Sounds like the ARP studs are not worth the 200$ or whatever they cost if they are breaking that easy these bolts are supposed to be hardened and durable.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I was at 85lbs when it snapped.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I was at 85lbs when it snapped.
No ****? I've been as high as 110 lb-ft on them. Seems like it had to be defective to snap that easily. Did you find any indications as to why?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was at 55 and its a brand new cornwell torque wrench but they sent me new ones so nothing to worry about now got em today and i just finished with the heads

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You guys are damaging my trust in ARP products.

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
You guys are damaging my trust in ARP products.
Im definately not happy about the $200+ I had to spend on ARP hardware when doing my motor. Ford did not use those type of bolts when they did the 03/04 Cobra and the Shelby GT 500. Both of these cars have been making 600-800 RWHP without any issues. From now on I will be using OEM bolts on my heads some of the **** we do is totally pointless IMO but raises the cost of our builds. I had OEM bolts on my first motor this year and made 21PSI Without issue so Im kicking myself in the ass now for buying the ARP hardware.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well ill be sure to to updated to let you know wether it was me or the studs but even if they .001% bad which isnt that bad of a number if they only make 100,000 studs a year that means 100 of em are bad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts