Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MM Addict
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious how hard is it to build a motor from a bare block?! i have no experience in it what so ever im trying to decide wheather to build my current 302 up in my car or buy a seperate 302 and bore it to a 306 or 331. or the ultimate decision of buying a complete 351w engine for 100 dollars and bore it to a 408w what would u do? my current transmission needs attention too. i need new bearings and a sync for third and a throwout bearing

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's not to hard to build a motor from a bare block I just did it, an in the process of connecting it all up. I bought a book to use as a guide and to follow as well as many Internet articles and guys on this forum really help. Honestly I'd go 347 if I had to do this all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
MM Addict
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not to hard to build a motor from a bare block I just did it, an in the process of connecting it all up. I bought a book to use as a guide and to follow as well as many Internet articles and guys on this forum really help. Honestly I'd go 347 if I had to do this all over again.

why 347 just curious

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
May as well go straight to the 351. Stock block is capable of withstanding 700hp all day long.

It's not too hard if you've got the right tools. The right tools being a GOOD get of measuring instruments. That includes:

- A good 4" - 5" micrometer. You're going to have to measure that piston somehow, and a micrometer is the right way to do it

- A dial bore gauge. Still the best way to measure cylinder bore diameter. These are pretty expensive, you may want to rent one

- Feeler gauges. You'll need these to check ring end gaps and rod side clearance

- a good torque wrench. do not cheap out on this, it's going to get A LOT of use

As far as sockets and wrenches go, you'd be surprised how long a set of Ace tools will last. One of the first tool "sets" I bought was a 13 piece metric socket set from Ace, and it's holding up great.

I'm probably forgetting something. I'll probably come back later and add stuff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just because if your going 331 might as well go a little bit further and go 347. The reason I didn't go 351 was I am pretty sure you have to get different headers and I'm sure some other stuff that I had already bought for the car.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Im 15 and build motors, Its not hard just make sure its clean and lay out parts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts