Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this isnt really a project as of now, but for future reference.

My car has currently 103k miles on it and i wondering how long it should last to run fairly decent. I can feel that the trans is going out because every once in a great while 1st wont go in and it will go into gear without the clutch sometimes by accidentally putting to much pressure on it when turning. Anyways back to the motor. I was wondering what i would be needing to look at when the motor starts to go out. What would you all recommend would need replacing. Or if by then not to just go ahead and completely rebuild it with boring it out and all?

any suggestions highly welcomed,

Joe

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have thought about that before but i have heard that it takes some major adjusting (though this is from previous owner who from my experiences doesnt know ****)

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
your tranny doesnt sound like its going out thats first

second its VERY hard to determine what will need to be replaced. if you oil pump fails then you might want to look at bearings for the cam, the mains, crank, etc..
if it fails because of blow by which is by a rings then all you need to do is spend $50 and give a lot of time to it. those are really the only things i imagine happening with the motor. unless you over rev it alot you may come out with a bent rod possible a spun bearing. with and a scored cylinder wall which in that case you will NEED to bore the block if its repairable

omz has like 47k miles more then you.
all depends how you treat your motor. and properly maintain it

you might not need a rebuild for a couple years
most of this seems like pure assumption or just reason to rebuild the motor.

i hope you know the proper measurements and specs when rebuilding ANY motor you do and how to properly take those measurements
a bearing that doesnt sit a couple thousanths of an inch like its made to will fail. if you have a main or rod cap the other way around. garuntee your motor will fail.

if your looking to rebuild cause you just simply want to you should probably state that in the thread =)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
if youre doing a rebuild, i vote split port and f-150 4.2 while youre at it :yes

that way youd get about 50-55 more rwhp out of it :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chris=i didnt plan on rebuilding it till it hit about 200k lol im just getting ideas. i plan on (if i can afford at time) getting a 03 cobra before this engine goes out, hopefully. Sorry about not stating it was an idea in the name of thread chris lol

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
omz has like 47k miles more then you.
all depends how you treat your motor. and properly maintain it
50k more kid :D

replace your oil pump and clean the water pump at 150k.... flush the radiator fluid regularly, like every other year or so... also, have your timing chain inspected when you do the oil pump... mine needed to be replaced...

other wise these cars will keep on kicking for years to come... I need to seafoam it and replace the O2 sensors but other wise they are strong engines

have any other questions?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
nope.......think that covers it lol

damn omz you are post whoring it up now lol
i went 5 days with out a tech post or any kinda post that counted, it was murder i couldn't stand it ... now all i do is math homework and mm.com

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
chris=i didnt plan on rebuilding it till it hit about 200k lol im just getting ideas. i plan on (if i can afford at time) getting a 03 cobra before this engine goes out, hopefully. Sorry about not stating it was an idea in the name of thread chris lol
we have an 03-04 cobra on my local forum
badass car. mid 10s with 130mph traps!:cool:

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
hopefully i wont have to have my engine rebuilt any time soon. if i do then i will upgrade the m90 and send my engine to torres to forge it out and stroke it to 4.2... with other goodies also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts