Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the engine from my '94 GT on an engine stand and ready to tear down. I want to keep this build pretty mild. I'm just wondering what opinions you all have about it. Keeping the stock crank, what would you do? Pistons? Rods? Camshaft? A decent set of heads maybe that aren't drag car heads? Port and polish the stock heads with just some roller rockers? I was happy with the power of the engine in it's stock form with 165,000 miles on it. I've only had it a year, so I don't know what the power may have been like when it was new. So, what do you all think? What would you do and why? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!! :D

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
How much do rebuilds cost? Mine has 200k+ and i want to rebuild it. sorry to thread jack kinda. didn't want to make a new thread about the same thing,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the engine out because the rear main seal is leaking. Well, that's not entirely true. The rear main seal was leaking while I was driving the car, but the car is totalled now thanks to an idiot that made an illegal u-turn right in front of me. I pulled the engine and tranny out of it to put into my '04 Ranger. Since I have to get part way into it for the seal, I figured I would go a bit further and just do the whole thing. I was hoping to get other people's opinions of what they've done or what they would do. I posted a similar thread in the '94 to '95 area, but it doesn't seem like as many people get into that section, so I posted here.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you were happy with the stock performance then I would go the cheap path, did it have good oil pressure?

If yes just put a main seal in it a oil pump and pan gasket.

For the top put a explorer intake and heads on it and a set of headers and you will be very happy for 6-700 bucks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it you mean put heads from a Ford Explorer on my engine right? If I do that, is there a difference in the pushrods or rocker arms or anything else that I might need to make it work? What is the difference in the heads? It's not hard to pull the engine apart and freshen it up since it's sitting on an engine stand now. I know there are a million options out there, that's why I'm asking opinions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts