Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old School Racer
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is driving me nuts, i did a full rebuild and added cams and ported heads, it went fairly well for the first 500 miles, out of the blue the car had a slight lifter tick, a couple of days later i took the valve covers off to check for bad lifters (all 16 lifters were replaced when rebuilding the engine) and found none, all of them were pumped and looked good, i did noticed that oil wasnt "squirting" on the cam lobes as its supposed to, lifters just weeped oil on the followers, i left the car untouched a couple of days and today i needed to move it somewhere else (about 200ft from where it was), when i started the engine the oil pressure gauge (stock dummy one) wouldnt move, about 3 seconds later it jumped to the middle.....

Lifter knock is present when engine gets hot, every single component inside the engine was replaced, including the oil pump, could this be a bad oil pump or is this more related to rod and main bearing cleareances? (me made a boo boo)

1999 Mustang GT
everything stock excluding cams and ported heads, all new components.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Did you just use standard bearing for the mains and rods? I would get a true oil pressure gauge first so you can see whats actually going on.

·
Old School Racer
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you just use standard bearing for the mains and rods? I would get a true oil pressure gauge first so you can see whats actually going on.

Not standard since the crank was scarred, i went .25 over.

I´ll put a real oil pressure gauge today and see what the actual oil pressure is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts