Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2000 gt and I spun a rod bearing a few weeks ago, I decided to rebuild the motor and yesterday we finished up dropping the motor back in the car. Today we fired it up and it started up on the first try, we let the car idle for a while then went to go give it a test run. I was at a stop light and all of a sudded the car just shut off after haven driven about 3 miles. We tried changing the battery and checking all the spark plugs but nothing worked, the car turns over but doesnt turn on, a buddy of my dads said it could be a fuel pump fuse? Any input is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
You need to narrow some things down such as fuel are you getting fuel? there is a fuel fuse under the hood in the fuse block, and did you check the fuel pump trip in the trunk? there are so many varibles, did one of the crank or cam Sensor plugs come loose?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Spark? At the right time? Fuel? Any or enough? And air

Sounds like ^ he is right for the timing of the problem something sounds like it discconnected

Other wise start with fuel its the easiest to check then timing and spark

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
check your crank shaft sensor on the bottom left side of the engine in front if your facing the engine bay.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Could be crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump fuse, bad engine ground etc...

I would start with checking fuses sense that's easiest. Then check to see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the ignition on.

If all that checks out, check the CPS. And check the other grounds.

·
Registered
250 Posts
fuse junction box rear of battery next to strut tower. theres a harness that most disconnect for clearance. make sure its bolted down.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
^ +1. Good thing that it is turning over, knowing that it sounds healthy for the turn over stage. As mentioned, check the fuses. I know my issue was that my fuel pump went bad, and it wasn't like a warning was given, it just took a dump on me, but was turning over without an issue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to narrow some things down such as fuel are you getting fuel? there is a fuel fuse under the hood in the fuse block, and did you check the fuel pump trip in the trunk? there are so many varibles, did one of the crank or cam Sensor plugs come loose?
It doesnt seem to be getting fuel, where exactly is the fuel pump trip in the trunk?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ +1. Good thing that it is turning over, knowing that it sounds healthy for the turn over stage. As mentioned, check the fuses. I know my issue was that my fuel pump went bad, and it wasn't like a warning was given, it just took a dump on me, but was turning over without an issue.
Yea im guessing thats the same issue im having, the car turns over with no problems

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
It doesnt seem to be getting fuel, where exactly is the fuel pump trip in the trunk?
Kindof in front of in front of the left rear tail light if you are facing the trunk you have to pull the carpeting back and you should see it in there in that area.

·
Registered
257 Posts
See if youre getting fuel at the rails. Prime the fuel pump with the key, and hit the fuel pump schrader valve. Cover your eyes please we dont need you rushing to the sink. Push the valve with a screwdriver and see how much comes out.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I bet it's one of the main grounds. Seems like a common issue after a motor swap

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you can rebuild an engine, you should be able to diagnose. Give us more clues. Go check for spark and see if there is any. If there is spark, check for fuel. If there is spark and fuel, do compression check (I dont see low compression likely after a rebuild unless it was totally facked, but things happen). Then check timing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See if youre getting fuel at the rails. Prime the fuel pump with the key, and hit the fuel pump schrader valve. Cover your eyes please we dont need you rushing to the sink. Push the valve with a screwdriver and see how much comes out.
Where exactly is the fuel pump schrader valve?

·
Registered
808 Posts
On passenger side fuel rail toward the front

·
Registered
250 Posts
you'd get a momentarily crank over, run and drive. then it would shut off/not start. the nut on that harness works loose. you really have to tighten it down. its the same thing as the battery terminals. if its not fully seated and tightened, it will act like a window licker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts