Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been carrying a SOG Aegis for a while now and wanted to upgrade my knife. I'm kind of thinking maybe a Benchmade this time around. Kind of digging the Benchmade 940. Anyone have any recommendations? Places to buy? etc.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,935 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are Benchmade knives any better? Heard the quality had dropped off a little but than heard it seemed like it might of been getting a little better.

Any other brand / model recommendations? CRKT? Cold Steel?

I had a Kershaw Ken Onion before my SoG Aegis II and really liked it. I think for the money the Kershaws are pretty nice.

Smith and Wesson knifes are insanely well made. Used them for years, wont buy anything else for a pocket knife.
No, lol.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I've been carrying a Kershaw Blur for about a year now and it has held up pretty good. I'm an electrician so I use it on just about everything from opening boxes to stripping big wire.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I carry this one when I'm not at work:
https://www.amazon.com/OSBORNE-EMISSARY-BLACK-ALUM-S30V/dp/B00XIIVPPK/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1470593157&sr=1-3&keywords=benchmade+osborne+470

It doesn't see a lot of hard use but it's a well made piece. The thing with benchmade is you pay for their warranty. Free sharpening or repairs with basically no questions asked. You can also make the argument that you get better steel than say a Smith & Wesson or a Kershaw which is up to debate what you consider a higher quality. That all being said, I'm still a huge fan of a lot of Kershaw blades. But I have noticed a fair amount of their stuff is Chinese now, so you have to keep an eye out on that.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P Tanto blade on duty. They are a solid knife.
How often do you use it? Keep an edge?

I've been carrying a Kershaw Blur for about a year now and it has held up pretty good. I'm an electrician so I use it on just about everything from opening boxes to stripping big wire.
That's actually what I was carrying before the SoG. I did like that knife until I broke it misusing it.

I carry this one when I'm not at work:

It doesn't see a lot of hard use but it's a well made piece. The thing with benchmade is you pay for their warranty. Free sharpening or repairs with basically no questions asked. You can also make the argument that you get better steel than say a Smith & Wesson or a Kershaw which is up to debate what you consider a higher quality. That all being said, I'm still a huge fan of a lot of Kershaw blades. But I have noticed a fair amount of their stuff is Chinese now, so you have to keep an eye out on that.
How does that handle feel in your hand? How does it keep an edge?

·
Registered
286 Posts
How does that handle feel in your hand? How does it keep an edge?
Handle is pretty nice. It's smooth and lightweight. As far as the edge, it's still really sharp although I don't use it for more than cardboard/packaging most of the time. I have had it close to 2 years now without ever having to sharpen it.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys.

Does Amazon seem to be the best place to order? Any good knife websites for this?

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
My next knife is going to be either a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or a Zero Tolerance. Both are super high quality with good blade steel. To me, these feel better made than a Benchmade but that's strictly opinion. My EDC knife right now is a Spyderco Endura 4 that I really like.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-ParaMilitary2-Camo-PlainEdge-Knife/dp/B004VZVI88/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470602771&sr=1-1&keywords=spyderco+paramilitary+2

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Tolerance-0350BW-Blackwash-SpeedSafe/dp/B00GU0PSO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470602712&sr=8-2&keywords=zero+tolerance+knives

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fox I bet this is all you use your knife for huh?

http://youtu.be/XWC0XkBhEdo?t=6m23s

My next knife is going to be either a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or a Zero Tolerance. Both are super high quality with good blade steel. To me, these feel better made than a Benchmade but that's strictly opinion. My EDC knife right now is a Spyderco Endura 4 that I really like.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-ParaMilitary2-Camo-PlainEdge-Knife/dp/B004VZVI88/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470602771&sr=1-1&keywords=spyderco+paramilitary+2
I was looking at that as well. Searched and found it was a very popular knife. I always loved Spyderco back in the day but heard they dropped off. Not bad as Benchmade maybe? lol

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've had 2 Kershaws. A blurII, and a Ken onion. On each of them, the clip broke off, I broke the tip on one and the assisted opening spring broke on the other.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts