Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a recurrent exhaust leak coming from where the manifold bolts up to the headers. It causes a progressive leak in the gasket and has happened a few times after fixing it with not-so-special gaskets.

Any suggestions on products or techniques to not have this issue keep repeating over the life of my car. It's annoying having to fix this thing once a year like some kind of new step in a tune-up.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
hu? where what bolts to what??

do you mean where the manifolds bolt to the mid pipe?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
get a ford oem gasket i had the same problem n well just have to thighten down the bolt equally

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where the headers bolt to the block. It comes from the gasket that goes between there. I'm not sure exactly which bolts are near the leak.

The gasket just keeps getting leaks, making an annoying tick, exhaust fumes everywhere, and an obnoxious sounding car.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
Headers and exhaust manifolds are sort of the same thing. The car came stock with exhaust manifolds, each exhaust port flows into 1 common runner. The runner has a flange at the end that the midpipe bolts up to. Headers have individual runners of equal length that merge into a collector with a flange on it to which the midpipe bolts. That being clarified, is the leak at the flange between the header/ manifold and the midpipe? If so, get a replacement Ford OEM gasket. Install, torque evenly (don't tighten one bolt down all the way, then the other one, that will cause a leak)...

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
make sure the mating surface is straight or they will bever seal

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that clarification. I'm just a DIYer without too much experience so I don't know many of the terms for the actual parts.

The leak is coming from a failing header gasket, I have had to replace it twice in two years. The midpipe gaskets seem to hold fine when I check for the source of the leak. What is the part that the other end of the header bolts up to called? I thought it was just the engine block...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Your best bet is to use OEM for gaskets and manifold bolts. Also as stated before, tighten the bolts evenly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OEM gaskets/bolts and evenly applied torqued down bolts. Got it!

Thanks for the help! I'll just have to find the time to get at the headers now.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
when you take the manifold off use a straight edge to make sure the manifols it straight and not warped

that may be the problem you are having with replacing them all the time

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Ford Racing Shorty Headers installed, they were put on about 2 years ago when I did a motor swap due to a cracked block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts