Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've had my SSS catback for about a year and a half now and the tips are really starting to look bad... They are near impossible to keep clean and turn a gold color less than a week after cleaning them with chrome polish. Could I replace them with a different brand of tip like Magnaflow? Or is there a way to keep them clean longer? I might go by my local exhaust shop and see what they say, just don't want to get pulled into buying something I really don't need. Thanks in advance!

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Same tips and mine are fine. Maybe it's the chrome polish? The tips are polished aluminum. Clean them with aluminum cleaner then hit it with mag polish and then mother's power metal. Should turn out nicely. Apply a metal sealant for added protection. I think these tips look the best.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
^ x2. slp tips are sexy being rolled tips. i have the magnaflow kit but would like to get slp tips since they look soooo much better. I believe borla's are also rolled but not sure.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yup, Borla has 4" rolled tips. They look great. But you have to be careful when cleaning any polished aluminum tip. Once that copperish color appears, it's not going to go away. Simplest way to avoid it is only clean with soap and water.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I replaced my tips with some generic chrome steel tips from a local muffler shop. I too got tired of trying to keep my tips clean. I quick wash and some wax and they look great every time.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Slp tips.
Mine turn that yellow/brown color after a few days, and I just hit them with more polish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Borla 4'' rolled tips, or try using neverdull, it will clean anything off your tips. its what i use on my borla tips and mine turn brown after about two drives lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tips are about 16in long and its hard to find tips that size it seems. They turned gold before I ever used the polish, probably didnt help it though. Might go with the slp, I cant only find magnaflow in 12in and 18in on their website and dont want anything less than a 3.5in outlet because thats what I have now. I will look into borla later today. The slp are 15in so I think I could make them work.

The other problem I have with the SSS tips is that they have this weird adjustable mounting system that never seems to stay aligned and its hard to make adjustments with the tip on the car. Id much rather have an exhaust shop just weld on a non adjustable hanger so they are easier to align and stay aligned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts