Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past few weeks it seems everytime i step on the brake..the red light is coming on. i used to come on only under hard braking, but now it comes on everytime i touch the peddle. my brake history is this. Stock brakes until 1500 miles ago then i replaced them with premium rotors from napa (front only) with a set of hawk hps pads. before that i broke my e brake cable and we fixed the cable but we think the lever is now broke cause everyonce in a while the handle will come right up without engaging the e brake..

we also found that the drivers side caliper has a small leak we stopped off the fluid about well right when we did front brakes and it hasnt gone down since but my dad said there was definitly leak from that caliper...

does anyone know what could be the cause of the problem? can i be the leaky caliper? or have anything to do with broken e brake handle? i will say that there was a few times i would start my car (when cold) pull outa drive way and go down my street to stop sign in first gear and when i let off gas..the red e brake light would come on...something is up...

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Its the leaky caliper..... it could have something to do with the ebrake handle but the best way to tell would be to inspect the switch.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There is only 2 switches in that circuit. 1 is at the e-brake handle and the other is in the master cylinder. Both ground out the circuit. What is you fluid level at, and is your e-brake handle sticking?

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fluid level is fine.. what do u mean sticking? cause when i release it and pull it back down it like stays not on the last click..but enough that the light stays on so i always have to keep making sure it went all the way down...

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
i broke my e brake cable and we fixed the cable .
I was under the impression the Ebrake cable was a replace only item. It's not meant to be repaired. I would suggest getting a new cable and fixing the leaking caliper before going any further. I imagine the caliper just needs a new set of crush washers. You should be able to get some at any parts store for about a buck.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i say fixed cable i meant got a new one lol..thought you would be able to figure that out.. how can i find out what is wrong with caliper? obviously taking it off car but like what do i look for? i got money to waste i was just gonna go get a new one from ford... i dont know what they run anyway...im sure over 100 bucks

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If your e-brake handle is rebounding slightly causing the light to come on, and you say you have replaced the main cable, I'd be looking at the rear calipers starting to sieze where the cables attach. As for your front caliper, where is it leaking from? The piston or the line entering the caliper?

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont think i said the front one is bad..we just did front brakes..guess its time for rears :(

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone know what these calipers usually run? should i go to ford or is napa ok? i get napa stuff for cost so i use them for everything i can unless its something i wouldnt wanna mess with

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
If your replacing the rear calipers they go for around $40 bucks at autozone. If your going to replace the front ones i'd recommend going to a junk yard and getting the caliper brackets from an 01-04 gt. They use a 2 piston caliper and a bigger pad. The bracket will bolt right up to our cars and you can get alot better braking for not much more cash.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You can make sure it is the calipers just by disconnecting the cables from the calipers and seeing if your handle returns to its original position.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
You can make sure it is the calipers just by disconnecting the cables from the calipers and seeing if your handle returns to its original position.
That is a damn fine suggestion. I never thought of doing that.

Reps to you my friend.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your replacing the rear calipers they go for around $40 bucks at autozone. If your going to replace the front ones i'd recommend going to a junk yard and getting the caliper brackets from an 01-04 gt. They use a 2 piston caliper and a bigger pad. The bracket will bolt right up to our cars and you can get alot better braking for not much more cash.
thats good info..we just did front brakes but maybe down the rode..is it really better??

ill have trythat

by the way..the red brake light is on all the time now....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts