Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a new battery today. Optima seems to be one of the top choices. My question is Should I get a Red one or Yellow one? I have a stock head unit (non-shaker). I do plan to run an electric H2O pump and fan remote and run them at the track for cool down with the engine off. So what is the difference between the two and which will be better for my application? Or should I go with a boat battery?

Thanks fellow MMer's.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
Yellow top for more electrical accessory load, red top for general start up basic battery. I'd go yellow top with your fans and pump.

EDIT: you gonna use a battery charger while you are cooling down?

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Blue top.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it looks like I'm going to hold off on the battery. I had it load tested and they said it was good with 12.9 volts.

So I may have another issue. For a few days in a row the starter sounded like it didn't want to turn over very easily. Then after golf the other day I went out to my car and it wouldn't crank over at all. Everything else came on (radio, fans, lights, etc). I didn't even get the solenoid clicking usually associated with a low battery. I put some jumpers on there and still nothing from the starter, no clicking, absolutely nothing. Then all of a sudden it turned over normally and started. Since then it cranks strong and starts right up.

I checked all connections at the alternator, battery, and starter; everything tight, no corrosion. I'm a little baffled as to what happened. I am going to check the wiring for the alarm and starter disable this afternoon, but that would not explain the slow cranking prior to the other day when it would not turn over at all.

Anybody have any suggestions or comments?

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Next time that happens try tapping the starter with something metal ( long extension, ect... ) and see if it changes anything. If it does then you need to start starter shopping...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next time that happens try tapping the starter with something metal ( long extension, ect... ) and see if it changes anything. If it does then you need to start starter shopping...
Why do they have to build the solenoid into the starter? It was so much easier when they used to be seperate, cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
They started doing that because they should be replaced together. People used to confuse a solenoid problem with a starter problem and it kind just evolved that way. Tapping the starter will jolt the brushes in the motor to make it run and it can also make a faulty solenoid work temporarily.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I hate to dig this up but I didn't want to start a new thread. Yesterday after golf, I turned the key and the starter wouldn't crank. Everything else comes on fine. Then as the key was turned it started to crank and fired right up. This has been happening for a few weeks now and once it starts it doesn't have any issues for a few days. So I drove to the store and bought some groceries and went out to start the car and same thing. Only this time it wouldn't crank at all, even after waiting like all the other times. Had it towed to Ford with the roadside assistance in the warranty and we'll see what they say. I've been there a few times but never left the car, just discussed the issue with my service manager. He's no longer there now. Anyways he thought it could be my alarm/starter disable or I burned through the wires because of my long tubes. I don't think it's either. The wires are not that close to the headers and all the connections from the alarm relay are in good shape.

Anyone have any other ideas? I thought maybe the actual starter is bad. I guess we'll wait and see.

Worse thing about it so far is that my Haagen Dazs melted all over waiting for the tow.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Use a test light to see if you're getting signal from the ignition switch at the starter. If you are getting signal then your starter would be the culprit. I haven't torn into my starter yet to see if the contacts can be readily replaced. Check it out though Boss. If the contacts are starting to die, It can cause an intermittent crank condition.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Use a test light to see if you're getting signal from the ignition switch at the starter. If you are getting signal then your starter would be the culprit. I haven't torn into my starter yet to see if the contacts can be readily replaced. Check it out though Boss. If the contacts are starting to die, It can cause an intermittent crank condition.
That's what I was thinking also. The intermittant cranking is why I thought of that. Everytime I mentioned that to Ford they tried to blame it on something I did. I haven't had the opportunity to pull it and have it bench tested.

What about the clutch safety switch? That might explain the power to everything but not starting.
It's an auto and I did check the neutral safety.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You don't need to bench test, just have a buddy crank while you check for power at the starter. A starter can test good on the bench because there is no load applied to it. But then again if it just clicks, it'll do it on the bench too.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Ford called and said that they are replacing the starter. They also said that they don't have any racks right now and may not be able to get it today. What kind of BS is that. I said throw a jack underneath there and slap that baby in there. It'll take 20 minutes. They said "Well, we'll see what we can do." Can't believe that I have to wait till Monday for a freakin' starter install.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Brutal Boss. I find the domestic dealers are getting worse as times go on. Customer service is not one of their strong suits. Hopefully they get onto it first thing monday morning.

·
Registered
743 Posts
"Worse thing about it so far is that my Haagen Dazs melted all over waiting for the tow."

Dude I am with you on this one :sorry

But also hate you gotta go a couple of days without that awesome ride of yours

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The more I thought about the more ridiculous it seemed. So when they didn't call by 4 (places closes at 5 today) I called them back and talked to the manager. I said "I can't believe that you need a lift to put a starter in. What kind of girlie mechanics do you have working there?" Then added, "If you roll it back out onto the street I'll put it in myself." Mentioned something about a loaner/rental allowance for warranty work (don't know if that is in there or not, but I threw it out there anyways). He said he would go down to the shop and see what he could do and call me back. He called me at 4:40 and said he got one of his guys to jack it up and get under there. Then he said I had to get down there quick because they close soon. I said that they better be open when I get there. Anyways stopped by on the way to pick up an 18 pack 16 ouncers and gave it to the tech who crawled underneath my car to get me going. A little hard work reaped rewards for that guy.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The more I thought about the more ridiculous it seemed. So when they didn't call by 4 (places closes at 5 today) I called them back and talked to the manager. I said "I can't believe that you need a lift to put a starter in. What kind of girlie mechanics do you have working there?" Then added, "If you roll it back out onto the street I'll put it in myself." Mentioned something about a loaner/rental allowance for warranty work (don't know if that is in there or not, but I threw it out there anyways). He said he would go down to the shop and see what he could do and call me back. He called me at 4:40 and said he got one of his guys to jack it up and get under there. Then he said I had to get down there quick because they close soon. I said that they better be open when I get there. Anyways stopped by on the way to pick up an 18 pack 16 ouncers and gave it to the tech who crawled underneath my car to get me going. A little hard work reaped rewards for that guy.
Good deed!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I know you don't need it, but yellow top for the win!

Red is for starting CCA's. yellow is for starting and can be deep cycled, and blue is for marine (ie trolling motors, etc.) Blue is designed for deep cycle...but it can be used in a car for starting as well.

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
...stopped by on the way to pick up an 18 pack 16 ouncers and gave it to the tech who crawled underneath my car to get me going. A little hard work reaped rewards for that guy.
Extremely classy! You just don't find this kind of thing anymore... :drink

1 - 20 of 21 Posts