Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to achieve a higher redline on a 01 GT? What kind of mods are cheapest to increase it?

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
cams/springs

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
cams/springs will allow you to get a little higher. Closer to the 7k line, but only like 500rpm above current limit. The real issue with your red line is the rods and pistons. They won't take the high RPM very well. So, if 500 rpm more isn't enough, it won't be as easy.

Y do you want to raise it anyway? You could deactivate the factory limit and throw a rod if your into that ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
cams/springs will allow you to get a little higher. Closer to the 7k line, but only like 500rpm above current limit. The real issue with your red line is the rods and pistons. They won't take the high RPM very well. So, if 500 rpm more isn't enough, it won't be as easy.

Y do you want to raise it anyway? You could deactivate the factory limit and throw a rod if your into that ;)
+1:yes

·
Registered
114 Posts
why do you wanna make power that high?? if you wanted that just go by a honda, im just fine making my power down low

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cause then you would have an extra 500rpm torun thru, causing you to shift later. Anyway, i had another question, where is the best RPM to shift at if you were racing?

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
There is no power way up top (6-6250+) with an NA stock PI head (regardless of stock or aftermarket cam) 2v mod motor anyway so why risk it? lol Shift at 6k and call it a day....raise the limiter to 6500 so its a little harder to hit the limiter when you miss a gear....limiter is hard on the valve train lol I dont recommend screamin it out to 6500 then shifting...thats just lookin for trouble IMHO

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
cause then you would have an extra 500rpm torun thru, causing you to shift later. Anyway, i had another question, where is the best RPM to shift at if you were racing?
spinning a motor just for the sake of spinning isn't gonna help/make you faster. these cars stock stop making power around 5700/5800 (some even lower). you need plenty of seat time in your own car to figure out shift point's, there's no magic number, some cars like a higher rpm shift (5800 for example) some cars run a better number shifting lower. head to the track & start working it out, good luck.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You can make power higher than 6k with a new cam. The cam is what dictates your curve, along with your intake. But in general, if he gets a new cam, he can get 500rpm more out of the car. And anyone who says they don't want the extra RPM is clueless. Extra RPM is extra time you don't have to shift. True the car doesn't necessarily still make power past a certain point, but the Cam is what will decide that.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
You can make power higher than 6k with a new cam. The cam is what dictates your curve, along with your intake. But in general, if he gets a new cam, he can get 500rpm more out of the car. And anyone who says they don't want the extra RPM is clueless. Extra RPM is extra time you don't have to shift. True the car doesn't necessarily still make power past a certain point, but the Cam is what will decide that.
cam example makes perfect sense but the o/p is trying to get extra rpm from a tb/ plenum, not gonna happen. as to the extra rpm so you don't have to shift, thats the clueless statement, ton's of people lower their shift point's & pick up et. very well proven point, just depends on the car/driver.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The best RPM to shift at is the point where you'll come into the next gear close to your peak torque RPM. You need to dyno your car to find where your peak hp and torque are, and you need to know the spacing between your gears, as the shift point may be different for each shift (i.e. 1->2, 2->3, 3->4, etc).

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
The heads play a HUGE part in that equation as well. Filter, intake tube, intake manifold, and heads all need to be able to flow more air. Adding extra force on the rods is not a good idea. If you have all of that, then go for it, if not, don't bother. Also if you plan on raising the limiter much, be ready to by some new rods and possible a new block and pistons if things go wrong.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The heads play a HUGE part in that equation as well. Filter, intake tube, intake manifold, and heads all need to be able to flow more air. Adding extra force on the rods is not a good idea. If you have all of that, then go for it, if not, don't bother. Also if you plan on raising the limiter much, be ready to by some new rods and possible a new block and pistons if things go wrong.
Yeah I didn't want to complicate things to much, but this is the truth. Your whole engine is designed for a certain range. You can toy around within the limits, but you never really raise the limits untill you adjust Everything to match.

As for my "Clueless" Statement about rpm's. How is having a cam that raises the max power and torque rpm not going to make your shift point later? My point is simply that having a larger power band makes you able to shift less. Now if you are arguing that the shift point being moved up doesn't matter because the point you are entering the next gear is proporionately higher, than yes the amount of time in gear will be the same. But as long as the torque has not dropped at those rpm's by enough to change the over all power output at those rpm's, the raised power range is a good thing.

Now all that being said, if you do not have long enough gears to use that power band it is not worth it, which is getting back to the original statement. You can't just raise the power band without adjusting the rest of the car to match.

Adding a TB and Plenum may change the curve a bit, possibly allowing a higher RPM for max power, but its not very likely to be anywhere near noticeable with just those 2 mods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts