Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok (newbie in action),
So after reading MULTIPLE search treads, and stuff that was already posted I am truly sorry but I have to ask once again stuff thats already been answered, im sure. I am slow, so I apologize in advance.

Car Background-
I have a 2007 Mustang GT. Bone stock minus Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust.
My "goal" is for a daily driver that does not pass 400RWHP.

My intentions are:
First: CAI and tune together
Second: make the car handle better
Third and most likely final:New short throw shifter(hate the stock one)

So as to my first upgrade, What is "the best" CAI&tuner upgrade. I have heard so many company/brands in here im not sure what is preference/proven. Money at this point isnt an issue as I have saved for this.

After this first upgrade I will tackle the next two.

THANKS MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the JLT CAI with SCT tuner from American Muscle and I think it's great. I've gained close to 30whp with it.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
here's the tricky part. saying you want a street car at or under 400rwhp...........the hard part is staying with that idea. big question is can you stick with that goal. second ? is what can you afford and how often.

personally if i was wanting to stay at that hp level i would stay n/a and have a sweet sounding car. given this i would go with the 110mm jlt cai & sct tuner. is it bigger than you want with stock heads, cams, exhaust, sure it is. what you will be building for is the end goal so you don't have to spend money twice.

if you want a car that drives like stock and sounds almost like stock just go with an M90 roushcharger. personally i really wouldn't go with the M90 only because if you eventually decide you want more than that 400 it's easier if you have a better sc'er up front.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
if you want a car that drives like stock and sounds almost like stock just go with an M90 roushcharger. personally i really wouldn't go with the M90 only because if you eventually decide you want more than that 400 it's easier if you have a better sc'er up front.
He could always upgrade to the TVS later down the road and sell the M90 for a good amount of money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents,
Thanks so much for timely reply's!
I am positive that i WILL NOT want to go further. Simply bc, hell im not that great a driver behind the power. I know that might be a little embarrassing but ive had enough brushes with death in my chosen profession and would rather stay under the 400RWHP mark.

Superchargers are deff not in my future!

Thanks

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
Well, if you only plan on buying those three things you have listed, I think it's safe to say you won't be going over 400rwhp. :no Once upon a time, I wanted to just stay N/A...yeah, that didn't stick, haha.(granted I haven't gone FI, yet, but I sure as hell want to now) One day you may decide to switch, as well. I'd get a ROUSHcharger, too, if I wanted your type of rwhp goal, the whine is awesome! Then if you do get to a point where you want more, as said before, you can upgrade to the TVS and sell the old one. :yes If you're set on not going FI, it's going to cost you more to get to 400rwhp N/A.

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
It's doable, absolutely, but probably still a little more expensive than just throwing on a small blower. The M90(ROUSHcharger) alone brings you to 435 crank hp or so, which is around 365-370rwhp. Sometimes people have them on sale for $4k, right now they're around $4,750 - $5k.

In case you haven't been warned already, modding gets pretty addicting on these cars...we all start out saying, "Meh, I'll just get this and this...", but then we just want more. :lol

·
10,234 Posts
there is absolutely no way you will be disappointed with doing a n/a build knowing you'll stay between 350 & 400 rwhp. i absolutely loved what i got from heads, cams, gears. add a jpc intake and long tubes and i'd be grinning ear to ear. the sound from the cams exhaust is just straight up BAD and you can do nothing about everyone noticing.

if you are planning on a DD street car i'd go with 4.10's, but if it's not your DD then i'd go with 4.56's. unless of course you'll be doing some trips across the country

here's you an idea of what it could sound like with some nice cams. note that this is with stock manifolds & cats.....no long tubes on there.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
thanks!
I think around 350RWHP is an attainable goal the N/A route then correct?
Yes it is but I'm curious why exactly your set against the supercharger? I really think you should rethink that. The M90 on the "stock" pulley makes 360-380 rwhp. If you did go with the Roush M90, don't waste your time with their tune.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wanted to stay N/A then I relized that I would want more down the road. So I wanted a setup that I could run safely and I could grow with it down the road. My turbo setup now is detuned to 6.5 psi and I am only making 390 rwhp.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
For 350whp range the easiest way to do it is, full exhaust, cams, and a CAI+dyno tune. Intake wise, I like the JLT 110mm. With this huge summabich you'll never, ever, starve for air.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have no ther experience other than the JLT and SCT3 tuned from BBR, I like the gains alot.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
steeda intake and tuner combo from AM for me. very noticeable gains.

in all realite the c&L, JLT and Steeda are all close together in power gains, so get what you want

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined the forum today an in the market for a 06-07 gt. I keep reading heads cams an cai, but what's a good set of heads for these yrs? Hope I can get anwser without hijacking the topic.

·
10,234 Posts
there aren't any aftermarket heads right now to my knowledge. you have to either send your heads to get ported or buy ones that are ported. these aren't like the old fox heads though. these get some pretty good gains from porting. also if you are used to buying parts for your fox you should see the cost of parts for these.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with those who suggested the M90. My car has it and coupled with the Roush tune is less then 400rwhp. It's plenty for me. I'm told that the Roush tune doesn't adjust the air/fuel properly, however if it's adjusted poorly, I cannot tell.

Good luck !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts