Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
I thought I'd take that **** of mine also but the car runs good. And just don't need to be tracking down more engine bugs. I need to move on to suspension/interior.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my car with everything removed and it ran ok but a bit shaky. Then I did a maf conversion and the engine would surge like a bitch, had to set idle to like 1000 rpm or more just get it to run. I finally reconnected the ear, then the smog stuff and I'm so happy. I've been banging my head against the wall for a year almost

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

The car becomes much more finicky when you do an maf conversion

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Everything is much much smoother. If you wanna remove all that stuff the computer has to be tuned I think

·
Registered
208 Posts
Actually, MAF is less finicky than SD, unless you have a vac leak then the opposite is true.

The ecu does NOT need a tune to run without EGR.

Odds are, you had a vac leak in the EGR and fixed it when you put the EGR back in...

Regardless of the reason though, if it runs right... enjoy it...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Ya, when I maf converted my car it sorted out surging and idle issues I was fighting for 3 years. I also think you just had a vacuum leak somewhere causing issues that were not related to the maf conversion.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no surges w speed density. I did after the maf conversion. Erg didn't totally clear the trouble. It really got good after I installed the smog pump and moved the pins in the ecc harness connector to work for the solenoids Engine is smoother and I can set the idle lower. I guess every car is different

·
Registered
208 Posts
smog pump and solenoids would make NO difference to drivability like you are describing...
Plenty of us have simply removed the pump and removed the solenoids with no issues...

I think you unkowingly fixed something when you reinstalled the emissions gear, and I'm curious as to what

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious too.I can assure you I checked and repaired any vacuum issues and STILL had idle and surge issues. Egr installation fixed the warm idle surges but I still had cold idle surges and I had to have the idle set really high. I reconnected the smog equipment and all the issues disappeared. The car starts immediately and goes right to base idle now.

I disagree that smog solenoids don't affect how an engine runs. The air it pumps into the exhaust and headers allow for smoother ventilation and exhaust burning plus the air is needed to keep the cats from failing prematurely. Furthermore , I've been told that the O2 sensors do a better job with smog equipment. Lastly, it really helps with the raw fuel exhaust smells. Finally the computer isn't throwing codes. That's a very strong argument for smog equipment.

I would think the computer would need a tune without all the stuff connected. Does anyone have a car that runs and idles pertfectly and smooth, without a tune and emissions equipment?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does anyone have a car that runs and idles pertfectly and smooth, without a tune and emissions equipment?
Mine ran great when I removed the emissions, just had the CEL light on.
When I did tune it (disabling the emissions functions), I didn't see a noticable difference either...

193 Posts
My 5.0 has no emissions as well. IAC causes a surge, but it ran great for 2 years.

I did have problems with my pro-m maf and 19lb injectors, stock maf cleared it up.

·
He of Long Wind
2,169 Posts
Does anyone have a car that runs and idles pertfectly and smooth, without a tune and emissions equipment?
I solved my EFI problems a different way. Wouldn't go so far as to call the idle smooth though ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts