Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now i know enough about the stang to get me by, but i want to step it up a notch and slowly build my own engine.

I found an aluminum 4.6L SOHC block on craigslist, comes with speed pro pistons and its been bored out and machined to a unknown measurement. It also comes with "polished cams" & w/ matching gaskets.

Anyways judging off these pictures to have a complete block id just be looking at buying:

-crankshaft
-Heads (any mustang heads will work right? I was thinking 4v)
-Intake manifold
-new lightweight flywheel
-oil pan

What other major components am i forgetting? I think most the accessories i could probably get of a donor...Be easy on me, i have some engine experience but id like to get some more information of what i should expect to buy and how much a complete engine build will roughly cost? Is it cheaper to just buy a complete engine? Ideally id be building for some extra power :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he claims its from a mustang, so im assuming its a machined block from a cobra or a mach 1.

What do you mean it wont hold to much power? If i were to do this im shooting for anywhere in the 300-500hp zone. Id probably supercharge it too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
he claims its from a mustang, so im assuming its a machined block from a cobra or a mach 1.

What do you mean it wont hold to much power? If i were to do this im shooting for anywhere in the 300-500hp zone. Id probably supercharge it too.
:eek: I don't believe it is entirely worth it then. If you are looking for lots of power a 2v SOHC (if not from a cobra) is not necessarily the right road. Although don't get me wrong it is possible. A bunch of members here have accomplished it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I know you weren't, I just thought that most people knew the Explorer engines were aluminum blocks. Yes, they are WAP blocks.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the 05 plus Mustang were alum...some say stronger than the Teksid but idk didn't know the Explorer was tho..thats sweet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bullitt what are the specs on your engine? Will the block still drop into factory mounts?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It was just a 29k mile 03/04 Explorer/Mountaineer engine. The only work involved was swapping my valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, intake, exhaust, motor mounts and accessories off the original engine and dropping it in. The only thing "special" that had to be done was one hole in the Mustang's timing cover had to be filled because it doesn't line up perfectly with the hole in the aluminum block. I could have found a 94-95 T-Bird timing cover, which would have worked perfectly, but it was quicker, easier and cheaper just to fill the hole. It's got about 4k miles on the replacement engine, and no leaks from filling the hole, so I'm assuming it's good to go, and I know a few people who've had to do it before me, and they haven't had any leaks either.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
looking at the webbing you got a teksid block. the prior owner was building a serous motor and has a really good start for ya

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking at the webbing you got a teksid block. the prior owner was building a serous motor and has a really good start for ya
Great, so if its a teksid block i should be able to comfortably run 700+hp right?

I probably wont get it that high but id just like to know its heavy duty and reliable. Think its worth the 800 their asking for??

Oh and will this block drop on top of the GT motor mounts? Also since its been established that this IS probably a teksid block and not a WAP block; will i need to fill in any holes near the timing cover or do anything else special??

Thank you evreyone for the information, ive learned alot already!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
it is forsure a teksid block, im not sure on the rest of the specs on the motor, i would call on what cc the pistons are, what rings and what are they gapped to (top and bottom), what head work was done, if it comes with rods and a crank and what kind, what bearings, what rod bolts, what main bolts. if the heads are stock and it has the wrong cc pistons for what you want then 800 to only use the block is to much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts